Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes w/ Ethernet cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Parity

Parity

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

I have a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop and I'm having issues with freezes on it. Whenever I let my laptop go into screensaver mode for a couple hours with the Ethernet cable plugged my laptop freezes, I can't wake it - causing me to hard reboot it holding the power off for 5-10 seconds and rebooting it.

Now whenever my Ethernet cable is not plugged in and goes into screensaver mode for 2+ hours I am able to wake my computer up - wireless connection. I have no idea what the issue is, but it's very aggravating and I want to get this fixed soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

Do you have the laptop set to go to sleep, or to hibernate? If it is set to hibernate, switch that to sleep mode instead and see if that makes a difference.

You may also want to go into Control Panel, Device Manager, and check the Power Management settings for the Network Card. If it is set to turn the device off to save power, clear that check box.

#3 Parity

Parity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

Do you have the laptop set to go to sleep, or to hibernate? If it is set to hibernate, switch that to sleep mode instead and see if that makes a difference.

You may also want to go into Control Panel, Device Manager, and check the Power Management settings for the Network Card. If it is set to turn the device off to save power, clear that check box.

Already in sleep mode, unchecked the box for network card and still does the same thing. 

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

Check with Sony to make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date. http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

If it persists, perhaps configure it to not go to sleep, or contact Sony tech support. Sounds like a hardware issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users