Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bios programming with TL866 Minipro programmer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lanparty

lanparty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hi guys . I have a problem with  PAckard Bell  model :ENLE11BZ , motherboard EG70BZ rev. 2.1 94V-0 . with bios chip Winbond W25Q32BVSSIG 8SOIC.I have removed the CMOS battery and now I have a problem with the bios. The problem is every time when you switch on your laptop it is written "There is no bootlable devise , hit any key " and only this . Even if you try to change somethin in bios menu you cannot did it.When you set the boot devices and enable F12 boot menu and turn of the option for secure boot and press save there is no efect there is no chance to boot from USB or CD or what ever .Now I have a programmer TL 866 and desooldered the chip from MB and place it in my programmer read it erase it but I cannot program it , because I need a hex or bin file format. I have downloaded all of the bioses files from the internet on packard bell website but there are exe format I used to extract them on my desktop on a PC computer and there is no BIN or HEX. OK for hex I agree with it bu some of the bioses they have BIN in the rar  archive.The point is where can I fing some file BIN or to convert and prepare for my programmer. I have to use only BIN or HEX format file for TL866. When I extracted the files from the internet there are only these in the attach file .Any idea or solution ? I am  thinking of file ".fd" format because is 4 MB by the way this is UEFI bios for windows 8.1...  Thnaks in advance guys and have a nice evening , Alex.

Attached Files

Edited by lanparty, 26 April 2015 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinRraZzorR

twinRraZzorR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Hi lanparty

First of all, before reading your post I had no idea that the Bios chip could be flashed with an external device, thus it's interesting thing to know, and this is why I did some web research along this topic and this is what I learned so far :

Rather than trying to perform the flash using a programmer which is a process that apparently needs a  bios code in HEX or BIN format, there another technique called "hot swapping" However you need another working motherboard with a good chip on it to do it: 

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=62

Also please refer to the approch mentioned  by "hipro5" here

This article intituled "Art of BIOS flashing" could also interest you: http://www.rom.by/Art_of_BIOS_flashing

Regards

TwinRraZzorr

Edited by twinRraZzorR, 26 April 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#3 lanparty

lanparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Thank you for your reply I get the picture. Does mean I have to find some working motherboard or a friend to do this method ''hot swapping'' .By the way I have  the old bin bios from my chip and it is in  BIN format . When I read it and  do also research I understood that but I was not  sure . Thank you very much for the help . I will try to find some working bios and to swap it  :) best regards  , Alex .

Edited by lanparty, 26 April 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

I have never done this but check the video here. You can save a .fd file to .bin using a Hex editor. Another thing. Did you check your hard drive because your error can indicate a bad drive or MB.

#5 lanparty

lanparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

Yes I have checked my HDD it was borken and I bought new one and for that I removed the battery from MB and now is this problem with bios it is very stange but is real .... .I watched htis movie three hours ago and thinking of that I will try it and will tell you guys ;)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

There is another thing to take a look at. Look at the thickness of your original hard drive. Newer drives are 7mm thick. If the original was 9.5mm thick there is a good possibility the 7mm hard drive is not connected correctly to the MB and the BIOS could not detect the drive. You may need to add a paper shim under the drive in order for it to be connected correctly to the MB.

JTWCK.jpg

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Did you replace the battery or just remove it? If the battery is missing, BIOS settings won't be saved, and other strange problems may occur. Flashing the BIOS won't help with that.

#8 lanparty

lanparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

I have replaced the CMOS battery also I have checked the thickness of  the HDD everything is ok about conectors battery and others . Something is very interesting if you try to chakge the time and date in  bios  and save settings is ok but with F12 boot and boot secre legacy boot is not ok even if you save and restart after that .I watched the video how to convert FD format to BIN and I will try today to reprogram the chip ....

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Just a note. If the computer is set to UEFI then the disk needs to be configured as a GPT disk which the install disk should take care of. You can convert to GPT manually using the convert GPT command of Diskpart. Hopefully reprogramming the chip will solve your non-detectable hard drive problem.

#10 lanparty

lanparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

I have converted the file from FD to BIN and place the chip into TL866 programer  but without success ... I have to find from some website or some friend with the same model of this packard bell but I cannot find nothing .... There is a russian forum I will try there .....

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

What type of chip are you talking about??  A PROM,  ROM, EEPROM????  Some are not erasable, others have limited "rewrite" lifetimes.  Some programmers have parameters that will destroy other chips or seriously degrade the info written to them.

#12 lanparty

lanparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

The name of the bios chip is Winbond 25Q32BVSIG SOP8 '' http://lib.chipdip.ru/081/DOC001081512.pdf ''. On ebay  '' http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-WINBOND-IC-Chip-FLASH-32M-BIT-25Q32BVSIG-W25Q32BVSIG-SOP8-Package-/290981850521 ''

Edited by lanparty, 27 April 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

Flash chips can be so tempermental sometimes.  Be sure your voltage/current specs are right for the burner to match the chips parameters.  In most cases, the flash chip only holds the BIOS after it is loaded from the "real" BIOS chip (firmware, can't be altered) on a cold boot or factory reset to default settings.  This is also the source for many "flash" virus attacts, the user is dupped into flashing the virus into the BIOS and is impossible to get rid of except by resetting to factory defaults, blanking the flash chip and loading from the firmware only.

Edited by mjd420nova, 27 April 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#14 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

Hi I understand what you are trying to do here and I don't understand.  To program a bios chip with your controller you need the manufacturer's write code.  So you can set the dip switches properly on your programmer.  This is not freely provided, you won't find the code anywhere.  I don't understand why you didn';t just re-flash the memory chip in the computer itself.  The programs provided to you by HP/dell/ etc.. have the bios flash codes built in to the writer which is why they suggest only use this program to flash the bios.  I would put it back in the pc and flash the bios in the pc using the software they give you.  Or get a pre programmed bios from someplace.  Here is a place you can get a pre programmed bios for 3.00.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 27 April 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#15 lanparty

lanparty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:48 AM

Hi guys thank you to all . At last I repaired the bios chip . It was i mistake with the chip jumpers because I do not have a clip for 8 pin to connect it directly to the motherboard. Just with converter from FD file open it with Hxd Hex Editor rename the file to .BIN  place it into  my programmer TL866 erase ,program with this file from FD extension  and now all is perfect .Normal boot , F12 menu boot it is working ... Let's install fresh Windows 7 ;) Have a nice day and Thank you to all :) :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users