Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying CPU Usage Pattern

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brandage

Brandage

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

I'm running an old computer with XP Service Pack 3.  The Task Manager shows 51 processes, and one or another turns on every minute or so.  Each shows 1-5% CPU Usage for a few seconds.  This has become a nuisance, since I can hear the cooling fan turning on and off constantly.  One of the programs is wmiprvse.exe; I've downloaded the Microsoft fix that is supposed to prevent this, but without effect.  I also performed an Avast boot time scan, and Avast did not identify this program as suspicious.  A search found 7 copies of this program (sometime as part of a Service Pack), but only one was the C:/WINDOWS/System32/wbem copy that is supposed to be the operative one.  The Task Manage list also has 8 copies of a program named svchost.exe with several USER NAMES.  Finally, I don't need this computer for the Internet.  If this problem is related to checking for updates, please help me remove those processes.  Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

I would relax...it's perfectly normal for multiple copies of system files to be included in SPs or other installation media...and it's perfectly normal for svchost.exe to be reflected multiple times.  Unless you are having a situation with high CPU usage by one or more of the mentioned items...there is no reason to be upset about the processes running and being reflected in task manager.

If you want to know more about svchost processes, please read the following links.

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running the How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522449/multiple-instances-of-svchost-running-hogging-memcpu/?p=3273209

FWIW:  http://smallbusiness.chron.com/stop-wmiprvseexe-57275.html

Your CPU...is made to be used...by Windows (all the time) and any installed programs (depends on how you configure the installations).  A cpu that is not working at something...would never be possible, as long as you are running any version of Windows.

If you think that you have a system problem, regardless of origin/cause...please do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

Do you happen to have some software installed for a camera or other usb device?

I would try a clean boot (use msconfig) to see if your problem goes away, then re-enable services and startup items a couple at a time to see which one is causing your cpu spikes.

From Go Pro Importer causing WMIPrvSE cpu spikes:

... disable all non-Microsoft services and startup, also known as a ‘clean boot’. For more information, see

Microsoft KB 929135 – How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

After verifying that the problem did not exist with only Microsoft default services running, I gradually re-enabled the startup services – I chose to enable several at a time (four or so) with each reboot rather than individually and checked if the problem had reappeared.
On my system, there weren’t any services causing the CPU spikes, so I started enabling the other startup items, also in blocks of four or so, then once the problem reappeared, started disabling each in that group until the problem ...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users