Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New MBAM interface

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

Stumbling my way through the Forums this morning (well, morning here on the Eastern Seaboard in the U.S.) looking for any feedback on the new MBAM Dashboard, which I think is...bad.   :thumbdown:

Their latest attempts at tweaking this great piece of software has been one disappointment after another.

On the latest version they took away an easy way to see your History, "your last scan was xxxxx" and the green smiley face just seems...I don't know, juvenile comes to mind, but I don't think that is exactly the word I'm looking for. It just looks cheap...

Here's what it looks like:

MBAM%20Dashboard_April%202015.jpg

Anyone else running this version, and if so, your thoughts?

Winterland

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 April 2015 - 08:27 AM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

I think the new interface looks good to be honest. The smiley is a way to make the program more "interactive" with the user, more personal if you ask me. Also, you can access the history in two seconds, by clicking on the History tab following by Application log in the left pane. Two more clicks to get a piece of information, it's not that bad.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

The changes were based on lots of user feedback. If you don't like a specific changes, voice your suggestions in this topic...UI Changes for Malwarebytes 2.1

If you read the entire topic, you will see why they have done what they did to the GUI.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

Gentlemen, thanks for checking in and the feedback.

@Aura - have to respectfully disagree. The Dashboard is there to give me the quick details (like Last Scan was xxxx).

Sure, a few extra clicks really isn't that big of a deal but neither is reaching into my glove box to find out when my next oil change is due. Or, I could glance up at the little sticker they put on my window for that reason and know instantly.

Two more clicks to get a piece of information, it's not that bad.

Again, it really isn't, but then why even create a Dashboard? I can get to every item that's on the Dashboard with about two clicks, so heck, let's just toss it out.  :lol:

And Aura, please note that the generic frustration posted here is not towards you, just the UI Changes in MBAM. I do appreciate you taking the time to give me some requested feedback, even if I don't agree with it.

@quietman7 - many thanks for the link.

Quite the spirited discussion going on over there in the MBAM Forums. Apparently I'm not the only one that found the Smiley Face a bit playful or silly (big kudos for one of the MBAM Forum Regulars - daledoc1 - for giving voice to this).

Sadly I've only seen one or two other people check in regarding my sorely-missed "Last Scan was..." feature that they removed from the Dashboard. It is a lot of wasted real estate at the bottom, esp. with the obnoxious size of the Scan Now button. I had an old account over at those Forums, which was a little too specific for my tastes so I'm not sure I'll post it there.

Perhaps I'll send them an old fashion email / message via the Contact Us page at their website.

And, given the discussion going on over there, I don't think we've seen the end of the development / changes going on with the UI, so who knows?

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

If you're not happy with the UI changes, you're always free to go in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Suggestions section on their forum and post your review. If they see that other users agrees with what you said, they might bring changes in a future version, who knows.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:37 AM

Quite the spirited discussion going on over there in the MBAM Forums. Apparently I'm not the only one that found the Smiley Face a bit playful or silly (big kudos for one of the MBAM Forum Regulars - daledoc1 - for giving voice to this).

...And, given the discussion going on over there, I don't think we've seen the end of the development / changes going on with the UI, so who knows?

Yes...they are up to six pages since the topic was started in November and more changes are in the works.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

I like it. shrug.gif

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 April 2015 - 06:50 AM.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

I would agree with those who think the new interface is ugly, but as long as the user can still get at all the options and settings they could before then this isn't too big an issue. My version of MBAM free hasn't updated itself to this version yet, I guess it will within the next few weeks.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

Once I have configured the settings I want, I seldom open the Dashboard.

Anyway, comments made here pro or con are not going to change anything. They need to be directed to the Malwarebytes Team which considers all feedback provided in the topic I linked to above or by "sending an old fashion email / message via the Contact Us page".

#10 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

It seems it is trying to be more user friendly. It seems it is trying to get out of, "only tech geeks use MBAM" and become more of a 'non-geek' program. This is just my opinion. 

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

What Malwarebytes has done is a direct result of user feedback, not planning by their development team to make it more of a 'non-geek' program. As I noted earlier, the changes are a result of things the end users have requested because of their expressed dislike of the design originaly introduced in Malwarebytes 2.0. Whatever changes they make to the GUI will not please everyone.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Whatever changes they make to the GUI will not please everyone.

Agreed. When it comes to design, for anything, there will never by unanimity, that's for sure :P If everyone always agreed on the design, there's so many things that would be simpler. Now people voices their opinions (with likes/dislikes) until they get a design that they dislike the less, but still dislike in some way it seems.

Edited by Aura., 27 April 2015 - 07:04 PM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users