Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fictitious facebook account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeff89

jeff89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:55 AM

A friend of mine has been asked by her friend for help in remedying an online harassment incident and now I volunteered to make inquiries . The situation is unusual so I will take care in explaining it.

The complainant has found a face book site which has her pictures populating it but is under a different name. By the type of pictures she believes they are from a man she had seen casually on a few cafe dates 3 years ago. It turns out he never gave his real name or any other pertinent info.

The site doesn't degrade with sexual content but it is very odd and disturbing by its fictitiousness and unknown purpose.

She is concerned as to what her social circle might think when they see her under an alias she never made.

She tried to report it to facebook support but for some unknown reason it wasn't accepted. She would like to know if it is possible to find his ip address and therefore find his identity?

So far the info we are getting is preventative but nothing in the way of resolving the issue.

There isn't very much online about the subject except for web surfer's complaints and facebook seems to be unreachable.

Would anyone have a suggestion?    

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

One way to get IP address and identify the person. The person sends an email to complainant. The IP address would be viewable in the Email header.

Then the complainant would need a court order to force the person's ISP to give the person's name and address.

What is a 'cafe date'? Elaborate on The site doesn't degrade with sexual content...what the heck does that mean/ imply??

Has the complainant asked the person directly to remove the pictures?

Are the pictures being used to promote a product? Is the Facbook page with the pics a business or private page?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

To add some more. 

If you'd like to request a copy of data that was posted to an account that was meant to impersonate you, you should first contact a lawyer or your local law enforcement agency and discuss this issue with them.

How do I request information about an impostor timeline?

How do I report a fake account that’s pretending to be one of my friends?

http://facecrooks.com/Scam-Watch/Fake-Facebook-Profiles-and-Pages-the-Tools-of-Scammers-Bullies-and-Thieves.html/

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

You write "her pictures", but from your description it seems to be "pictures of her". Did she take the pictures or did the man take the pictures?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 jeff89

jeff89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

i believe the pics were taken by her date.

A she just went out to a public place to chat and that why she never really got to know him.

The lack of sexual content means she is fortunate. Thats all.

No products can be seen. She can't understand what the sites purpose is.

She don't want to contact him until she can find out who he is.

Thank you for your insight and we will follow this up

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Sounds a little strange to me, either she just needs to ignore it or call the cops mate.

If he took the pictures then i believe she cannot do anythuign but make a request to have them removed.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:38 AM

If it's not her pictures she can't use copyright as a means to get the pictures taken down.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users