Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ashampoo Powerupxp - Removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johndrew

johndrew

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

Hello all, I need help and advice again!!

Last December I tried the subject software which was provided as a full version on the PCAdvisor DVD (issue 125). I didn`t like or need it so I used its own uninstaller to remove it.

Whilst using Autoruns I noticed there are still parts of it still on my system. It appears as two entries in Windows\system32 (Pupxpman.exe and pupxptwk.exe); there is also a registry entry `mspwr REG_SZ`.

I have used Autoruns to stop the function and both Registry Mechanic and Ccleaner to `tidy up` but neither have removed the entries.

Is it safe to delete these entries or is there a `proper` way to fully dispose of them?

Thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

I would leave it a loan. "tidy up" the registry can be very bad, and is recommended only if the HKey is causing a problem. Are you having problems with these entires?
I edit registry entries on a regular basis and I don't remove HKeys unless the are problematic. If is all go right great. If it goes wrong you can very well be reinstalling windows.
Whatever you do back up your Registry. ERUNT Registry Backup Utility

That is just my
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 johndrew

johndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

Many thanks for your advice acklan.

I do use ERUNT to backup each time I use Ccleaner just to be certain I can get back to where I was in the event of a problem.

As for the PowerUpXP files that are present I fail to understand why the designer of the software failed to ensure a complete removal in the event of an uninstall as I have done. I would hope that any designer wouldn`t be arrogant enough to believe that no PC user could be without the software, so presumably there is another reason which eludes me.

I shall leave it in place until a good or upgraded cleaner removes it safely.

Many thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users