Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot log onto BC or post in Windows 7 on any browser

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

This is really strange- I cannot log onto BC from my Win  7 machine. I tried every browser i have installed. Firefox,Chrome,Opera and even,yes,Internet Explorer. I have no trouble on my mom's computer(also Win7) or my multiple Linux installs. Occasionly I will be able to log on,but unable to post in any forum. I have no trouble with any other website.I hope one of you really smart people out there can figure this one out for me,because I am stumped! I am on my Linux machine presently--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

Can you tell us what happens when you try to login or post?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

Sometimes the browser won't even take me to the Home page,sometimes it will let me log on and read posts,but not allow me to post anything. At first I thought it was the browser,but as I said ,every browser does this- even tried with antivirus disabled- same thing- I ran Malwarebytes- nothing-

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

What do you mean "it won't take you to the homepage"? The homepage won't load? If so, what error code do you get? And how won't it allow you to post anything? What happens when you try to post in that situation?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

Also- sometimes when the page is trying to load-and the little wheel is spinning in the address bar,i will hit Stop- the X- and the sign-in page will load- don't know if that helps!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

What do you mean "it won't take you to the homepage"? The homepage won't load? If so, what error code do you get? And how won't it allow you to post anything? What happens when you try to post in that situation?

unite_blue.png

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

i just tried to reply to you- but BC locked up on me again- No- it will not load the Homepage. No error code. When I DO get to log on- at the end of a post ,is the reply field - like I am typing in now- but it is only the white area- no icons etc. No Post Button.No More Reply Options- I can do some screenshots if that will help!

Edited by paul88ks, 25 April 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

You can try clearing the browser cache of all your browsers, and also reset them to defaults. On top of that, you can run TFC.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,505 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

Paul, are you at home when this happens?  Or, at work?  Reason for asking:  where I work, the wireless rights are a bit less than the hardwire rights; I run into not being able to access certain web sites and/or interact [post] within certain web sites.

Aura - I see we are posting at the same time  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 25 April 2015 - 10:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

Roland - No - i am at my house- and Aura - i will try that- have to boot into my Windows machine again to do so- however,that does not make much sense to me - since it is doing this on every browser even IE.,which I NEVER use!

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

You could always flush your DNS cache after using ipconfig /flushdns as there might be DNS cache corruption but I highly doubt it. When did it start to happen? What did you do that could have triggered it, do you know?

unite_blue.png

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Aura- you are a smart young man. I tried clicking on the link for TFC and when it redirected me to Geekstogo,I got blocked again. So- I booted back into my Linux machine and downloaded the utility onto a flash drive.Booted back into Win7 and ran the program and- Bingo! All is well! I learnedthis procedure years ago,but am getting old and I forget alot! Thanks for your patience and your advice!

#13 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:48 PM

maybe you could direct me to an article on why temp files cause this problem.I am sure I am not the only one this has ever happened to-

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

Most likely cache corruption. And since forums pretty much run on Javascript, it takes a "nothing" to corrupt the cache and make it unable to load scripts, elements, etc. properly. I guess this article pretty much sums it up.

https://askleo.com/whats_a_browser_cache_how_do_i_clear_it_and_why_would_i_want_to/

And no problem, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users