Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game hiccups. Savvy people PLEASE assist!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 debear

debear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

I am having a very annoying and obtrusive issue with random hiccups or mini freezes while playing all my games. Hopefully one of you will feel like racking your brain and help a fellow gamer out. Most recently: Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, and GTA 5. It doesn't matter what graphics quality I set each to, every couple minutes I get a complete freeze for maybe 1 second where the fps drops to 0-15. While seemingly random, it is consistently happening anywhere between 1-3 minutes apart. All other game time is a solid 60fps or more. I monitored MSI Afterburner and noticed sharp spikes to 0% GPU usage on the graph. Temps on both GPU and CPU cores seem reasonable and I ran an Intel CPU stress test (passed) and a Furmark GPU stress test (no issues). I guess I just don't know where to look or what steps I could take. I have already reformatted my SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 x64 a couple times, tried the latest 3 Nvidia drivers, and checked if there were issues with the titles I have been trying. I don't have other parts I can swap with to test if it is the GPU, CPU, RAM, MOBO, or whatever else, so it is very frustrating. There's no doubt there are countless threads regarding similar issues I'm experiencing, but mine seems strange enough. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction. My current setup is as follows:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
CPU: I5-4690K 3.50GHZ
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb
MOBO: Gigabyte z97x-sli
PSU: EVGA 850 B2

Here's a screenshot of all the hiccups shown in MSI Afterburner. My gpu drops to 0% usage for each of them as shown.

msi_results2.jpg

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

Please download and run Speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Desktop?  I set my desktop fans to always run at full speed.  For gaming laptops, I recommend external cooling assembly.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users