Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overlaying a still photo on a video so that I can make that image move around?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

I need to create a video with my son for a school project. Does anyone know how to add a moving still image to an existing video clip?

For example, he wants to have a picture of an eagle swooping down while he ducks. So I thought we could easily just film him doing the ducking and pointing and then after we would add a picture of an eagle swooping down. I thought I could add the image into different frames to let it animate, but this does not seem to be working.

Anyone have any suggestions for a free program that can do this on Windows or a mac?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hello there,

You can add pictures to a video clip on iMovie.

http://video.stackexchange.com/questions/10116/adding-an-image-above-a-video-in-imovie

Hope this help! 

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

I used to use Wax 2.0 for this, but I don't know if the program still exists. If the program stil exists, and has changed much since 2011-2012, then it's a bit in-elegant and has a habit of crashing but it can do this sort of greenscreen and compositing stuff fairly easily. Runs on windows, I had it on my windows xp computer. I provide, below, a link to an old tutorial I once made http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-sci-fi-film-the-easy-way/?ALLSTEPS ignore steps 1 and 2, they probably won't be relevant to your situation, read from step 3 onwards to see details of how the sort of effect you describe is achieved. My apologies for the poor layout and grammar in some parts of the tutorial, but I made it quite a long time ago. If you can still find the program, make sure to scan it well with an antivirus, and perhaps use virustotal because they might have started bundling things in the installer since when I used it. If you get wax2.0 running I would be happy to give you some more detailed instructions on getting the effect you want. You will also need GIMP because the way I would do this you will need to cut your eagle out from the image it came in and replace it's background with an alpha channel. This effect could also be done with blender, but that would be slow and tricky, and not an option unless you have previous experience with 3d modelling software.

Edited by rp88, 26 April 2015 - 10:17 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and skipped adding the still animation.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

Did you find that old tutorial of mine helpful, it was more geared towards the "3d" parts of wax but I think I covered some of the basics as to how to composite an image onto a background video and keyframe the size, angle and position of the image.

Edited by rp88, 27 April 2015 - 11:47 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

Yes, but its way above my level :) I am a beginner when it comes to this stuff :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users