Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solitaire

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

This is maybe 'old news' by now so if you, already, are aware, no biggie...

A while back I saw notes from people upset about a loss of solitaire.  Well, it IS going to be in Windows 10.  There is a Solitaire Preview in Build 10061.

And there is this video thing about it, HERE.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

Good news.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

I don't see what the fuss is about personally. It was always available to download through the store. I don't play it, so why should I have it installed by default? Why not have those who want it go ahead and install it from the store?

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

I'm a bit late but I blame work.

@ the OP, if you're stuck with 8 you can use this guide here that the good folks at How To Geek posted to get Solitaire up and running.

I did this on my Mother-in-Law's Win 8 machine and it worked like a charm and, thankfully, she's very very happy with her son-in-law.

@Casey_boy - no disrespect, but if you haven't, or in your case, don't play the game, that is why you don't see what all the fuss is about.

Grabbing something from the Store - while not complicated - is just another step for the old timers and, since you don't play the game, you wouldn't know that the version you download from the Store is not the same game that had traditionally been bundelded with the OS.

It has Xbox achievements for C**** sake. It's kind of dumb.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

Does it means that they'll bring back the "Games" option under "Turn On and Off Windows Features"? Because I know for a fact that we might be moving to Windows 10 at my job, and we have a Director who plays Solitaire during her lunch time and it NEEDS to be on her computer or she'll become crazy.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

It will be, as it is now, in All apps under the letter 'M' for Microsoft Solitaire Collection Preview (current name). It is a Windows (Store) APP

Cheers,
Drew

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

.... we have a Director who plays Solitaire during her lunch time and it NEEDS to be on her computer or she'll become crazy.

Yeah, I know this feeling.

When my Mother-in-Law's computer passed and I was setting her up with Win 8, which I don't hate (I just don't like it) she kept asking me, "will I be able to play Solitaire, will I be able to play Solitaire?"

Once she saw the new Store version of it, I knew I had to find a way to fix all that.

Thanks to both Bleeping Computer and How To Geek - all has been remedied.  :bananas:

@ the OP, I just got around to checking out that video link. Even the reporter jokingly suggest bringing back XP, lol.

And for everyone else, remember, you don't have to wait for Windows 10 to get Solitaire back.

Winterland

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

Also availabe with Windows 10, Candy Crush Saga

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

Candy Crush Saga will be automatically installed for customers that upgrade to or download Windows 10 during the launch!

This is just completely absurd. No one wants that yet Microsoft thinks it's a good idea. As soon as I spot it in my Windows 10 installation, I uninstall it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

I got a chuckle out of this article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/15/windows_10_to_melt_your_brain_and_take_over_your_life/

#11 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

@Casey_boy - no disrespect, but if you haven't, or in your case, don't play the game, that is why you don't see what all the fuss is about.

That's the wonderful thing about perspective :wink:

My reasoning is thus: keep the OS as streamlined as possible and only include what is necessary. This makes the installation media as small as possible (important for downloading), keeps the installation process as fast as possible and keeps the OS install footprint as small as possible. Then let the user add whatever they want/need.

Preinstalling any game is just the same as all those crap games that get installed by your PC manufacturer, again, in my opinion.

Grabbing something from the Store - while not complicated - is just another step for the old timers and, since you don't play the game, you wouldn't know that the version you download from the Store is not the same game that had traditionally been bundelded with the OS.

It has Xbox achievements for C**** sake. It's kind of dumb.

A separate issue, of course, but I would be very surprised if the version that comes preinstalled isn't the same as (or very similar to) the version currently in the store.

Candy Crush Saga will be automatically installed for customers that upgrade to or download Windows 10 during the launch!

This is just completely absurd. No one wants that yet Microsoft thinks it's a good idea. As soon as I spot it in my Windows 10 installation, I uninstall it.

So one game coming preinstalled is different to another? :wink:

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

People let's try not to confuse "bundled" w/ the Windows 10 Team making a Solitaire APP available because so many people were sad solitaire was not embedded in the OS, anymore... well, guess what, it, still, isn't (embedded).  It's a Store APP, it is not an integral, internal, part of the OS itself.  We are not talking about some wonderful thing like HP's Wild Tangent Games.  It's just a harmless Windows Store APP. Not interested in it, uninstall it or leave it be & don't use it, no worries :)

Cheers,
Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 17 May 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#13 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

@Drew1903 - fair enough. This subject has seemed to go a bit off the rails.

In the end, my Mother-in-Law is happy with her son-in-law and if I can help even one other Bleeping Computer member do the same, all the better.

@Casey_boy - well said. Thank you for the reminders about perspective.

It will be fun to see how this Windows 10 roll out plays out. I don't think it will be pretty but I'm not too worried.

Anything that comes my way that I'm not sure about will be addressed right here - in a spirited fashion! - at Bleeping Computer.

I love this place.

Winterland

#14 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

People let's try not to confuse "bundled" w/ the Windows 10 Team making a Solitaire APP available because so many people were sad solitaire was not embedded in the OS, anymore... well, guess what, it, still, isn't (embedded).  It's a Store APP, it is not an integral, internal, part of the OS itself.  We are not talking about some wonderful thing like HP's Wild Tangent Games.  It's just a harmless Windows Store APP. Not interested in it, uninstall it or leave it be & don't use it, no worries :)

It's still installed by default, so my reasoning is still the same. Of course, I'm not really bothered by it being on there - it isn't malware. It's just another app that will, on my PC at least, a] never get used or b] uninstalled right away. The same goes for the "Health & Fitness", "Food", "Finance" etc. apps.

It will be fun to see how this Windows 10 roll out plays out. I don't think it will be pretty but I'm not too worried.

Anything that comes my way that I'm not sure about will be addressed right here - in a spirited fashion! - at Bleeping Computer.

I love this place.

You're right! We'll see and the BC community will, as always, be here to help!

:)

Edited by Casey_boy, 18 May 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

All of these apps are taking the door as soon as I'm done my upgrade to Windows 8.1, like they did when I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Microsoft OneDrive will also be disabled on every level.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users