Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Fails to Boot and Repair

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bastiat1

Bastiat1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Power went out last night.  Restarted the computer today and it wouldn't boot.  It loads files and tries to repair itself to no end.  I've tried a System Restore to a recovery point that was created yesterday when I ran Windows Update.  It doesn't help and the same problem persists.  I've run CHKDSK for drive problems and don't see any (I'm mostly a neophyte though). 

I've gone into the Command Prompt and can browse all of my drives and access files.  The strange exception is C:.  When I dir on C, it says "Volume in drive C is System Reserved" and "File Not Found".  Further, when I run "wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description" from the command prompt it says that X: is the Boot disk and that C: is System Reserved.  That seems opposite of my intution, but what do I know.

Anyone seen this issue before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 9indie45

9indie45

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Hit F8 at start-check to see if drive is C  drive is default boot drive. Correct if it is not.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

If this computer won't boot, how are you accessing the Command Prompt?

I would not change any drive letters until a little more is known about your problem.  I've seen hdd and partitions on hdds that have different letters for the drive with the operating system than C:.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Bastiat1

Bastiat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Hit F8 at start-check to see if drive is C  drive is default boot drive. Correct if it is not.

Thanks.  Yes, it's booting from my SSD which had the Windows 7 install on it.  I can't specifically say it is booting from C: in the Bios options though.  I can only specify which disk is being used. 

#5 Bastiat1

Bastiat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

If this computer won't boot, how are you accessing the Command Prompt?

I would not change any drive letters until a little more is known about your problem.  I've seen hdd and partitions on hdds that have different letters for the drive with the operating system than C:.  

Thanks.  I should have been more clear.  When I start the machine it tries to load Windows.  You get the initial load screen, but then it bails out and goes to the Windows Startup Repair utility.  From there I can access the command prompt and look around.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.   This partition should be 100MB in size. 

Type diskpart in the command prompt and see what drive letter is listed, then post it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Bastiat1

Bastiat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.   This partition should be 100MB in size. 

Type diskpart in the command prompt and see what drive letter is listed, then post it here.

From "System Recovery Options" I got to Command Prompt.  I get...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

X:\windows\system32\

I type "diskpart" and get...

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation
On computer:  MININT-2106V92

DISKPART>

If I type anything into the Diskpart prompt I get a list of available commands.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

I apologize, I got sidetracked and forgot to add that when diskpart has been run and diskpart shows below enter the command list volume.

Take a screen shot or create an image with your snipping tool and post it in your topic.

#9 Bastiat1

Bastiat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

I apologize, I got sidetracked and forgot to add that when diskpart has been run and diskpart shows below enter the command list volume.

Take a screen shot or create an image with your snipping tool and post it in your topic.

I don't know how to transfer a screen shot from the messed up machine since I can't do anything outside the command prompt or the Windows Startup Repair Utility.  Nonetheless, "list volume" yields the following...

Volume 0 |  Ltr = G |  Label = blank |  Fs = blank |  Type = DVD-ROM |  Size = 0 b |  Status = No Media
Volume 1 |  Ltr = C |  Label = System Res |  Fs = NTFS |  Type = Partition |  Size = 100 MB |  Status = Healthy
Volume 2 |  Ltr = E |  Label = blank|  Fs = NTFS |  Type = Partition |  Size = 111 GB |  Status = Healthy
Volume 3 |  Ltr = D |  Label = blank|  Fs = NTFS |  Type = Partition |  Size = 372 GB |  Status = Healthy

Edited by Bastiat1, 02 May 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

It is as I had thought.  The C: drive is the system reserved partition.

Try setting the BIOS so that the D: drive is the first device in the boot order and see if it will boot from that.

If that doesn't work, try setting it to the E: drive.

#11 Bastiat1

Bastiat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

It is as I had thought.  The C: drive is the system reserved partition.

Try setting the BIOS so that the D: drive is the first device in the boot order and see if it will boot from that.

If that doesn't work, try setting it to the E: drive.

When I go into the Bios I can set the Boot Device Priority.  It only gives me device options though- not partitions.  So I can specify the SSD which includes the C and E partitions or the normal secondary hard disk (D).  It won't boot from D.  Windows isn't installed on D- just some ancillary program files.  When I try to boot from D it says...

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl + Atl + Del to restart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users