Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to allocate hard drive space

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Indywar2

Indywar2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum, and hope you may be able to help me add some space to my partitions.  My C drive with my OS is so full I cannot update the virus software and my J drive that I store office files, pictures, etc is approaching capacity.

I have gone into "computer management" and right clicked on the partition I want to expand, and the "expand volume" is grayed out.

What are my options at this point? 

I have a 1TB hard disk that I partition a while ago as follows and in order:

#1-"Healthy (OEM Partition)", Primary partition, 47 MB, Healthy (Page file, Primary partition)

#2-"Recovery (D)", 15 GB NTFS,  Healthy (Page file, Primary partition)

#3-"OS ©", 100 GB NTFS,  Healthy (System, Boot, Active, Crash Dump, Primary partition)

#4-"Rob's Data (J)", 350.71 GB NTFS, Healthy (logical drive)

#5-465.76 GB, Unallocated

Thanks for any advice you are able to provide,

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi Indywar2 :)

Someone asked the same question as you this, you can see how he proceeded in the thread below. Basically, you'll have to use EaseUS Partition Master Free to allocate the "Unallocated" space to the C: drive if that space isn't directly on the right of the C: partition in the Disk Management :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573917/problems-with-extending-c-partition/

The steps he followed are listed in this post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573917/problems-with-extending-c-partition/#entry3687407

Let me know if you have any questions.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Indywar2

Indywar2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

Thanks Aura,

I have installed the EaseUS partition program and have the same problem with the C drive as I did with the Windows Disk Management.  The "C" drive will not increase.  I tried the "rezise/move partition" and the drag bar is at its maximum and will not increase.  Also, I have tried increasing the value in the "partition size" box, and nothing happens.

In contrast, when I perform the same thing on the J drive, the drag bar will allow me to increase the size.

Any ideas how to increase the "C" drive size?

Thanks,

Rob

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you try to increase the size of the C: partition and show me it?

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Indywar2

Indywar2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

Attached are the screen shots from the EaseUS Partitions.  It looks like Word files are not allowed as an attachment.  I have tried saving it as PDF. 

Rob

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

The problem is you cannot expand C: because there is no unallocated space to expand to. What you need to do is Move partition J: all the way to the right, not expand it. After moving J: you will now have unallocated space before J: and after C:. Now you can expand C: into the allocated space.

I am more familiar with Minitools Partition Wizard but Easeus looks similar. You can do all operations virtually. The steps will be shown in the left pane under pending operations. After doing all operations click apply and Easeus will do all steps. You can always delete a pending operation and redo it if you made a mistake as you are doing all the steps virtually before you click apply.

As with all partition moves it is always best to create a disk image to an external drive with something like Macrium Free. Though small there is always a chance something can go wrong, especially if you lose power during the partition moves because it will take a while to finish the steps.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

What John said is right. EaseUS have a small tutorial (even a video one) explaining how you to move partitions, and then use the unallocated space to expand the one you want.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/moving-parition.htm

Let me know if you have any questions and how it goes.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Indywar2

Indywar2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Thanks to both of you.  I was able to expand both "C" and "J" by following the directions above and the software took care of the rest.

At some point I will look into getting a SSD for the OS, but for now I have enough space on the partitions on this current drive.

BTW, I did clone my drive before I starting using the EaseUS partition software.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Glad to see that you got it all solved out Rob, and no problem, our pleasure :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users