Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Adware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Murasame

Murasame

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:07 AM

Hi everyone, I've been infected by this adware which I do not know the name but I'll describe the characteristics of this adware. I need help in removing it.

I believed I had gotten this adware from a program I downloaded which monitors the security status on the computer. When I realised this program is having problems with the XP2 firewall, I uninstalled it and this adware surfaces.

Description:
When I ran spybot, it's probably unable to detect the adware. So I tried Ad-aware and tried to remove it. When I quarantined it, I couldn't launch my internet explorer because whenever I launch it, it will give a error message saying it has encountered an error. With no choice, I had to restore it. It didnt work as well and I was forced to carry out system restore.

When I went through the details, it stated it has to do with internet.exe therefore I suspected that the adware has modified or incorperated into the exe so that whenever I launch the explorer I'll launch the adware as well. The advertisement will appear whenever I first launch the explorer and appear time to time stating that I should install some programs like antivirus or even force me to install windows defender which I already had it and programs which will protect my pivracy blah blah.

Problem:
Now, I'll encounter error messages stating that the explorer has to be closed due to error encountered from time to time which is irritating. The problem is always the same. The main problem is I can't access my school mailbox. I do not know the reason but it requires Java to run. Whenever I try to access it there will be error and I'll be forced to close the explorer. This also occurs when I'm surfing the internet (the same error occurs as well).

If there's a need I'll post the scan logs by ad-aware. I have to state I do not know where the adware lies and only suspecting it has incorperated into the ie.exe. I need guidance on this and thanks for any help rendered!

Important note: I have run Ad-aware and spybot on my computer before to eradicate this adware. When I used Ad-aware to quarantine the problems my internet explorer couldn't function at all. Even when I undo the changes by Ad-aware the error remained thus I'm forced to run System restore to restore my IE explorer. Apparently, windows defender does not detect this adware.

Hijackthis Log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:49:38 PM, on 03/07/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFNF5.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSMain.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\SigmaTel AC97 Audio Drivers\stacmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I3S2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSBattM.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\8e88c36a.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\LeechGet.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://runonce.msn.com/
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O2 - BHO: AlxTB BHO - {F1FABE79-25FC-46de-8C5A-2C6DB9D64333} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\AlxTB1.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00THotkey] C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [000StTHK] 000StTHK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFNF5] TFNF5.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TouchED] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPSMain] TPSMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] TFncKy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmaTel StacMon] C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\SigmaTel AC97 Audio Drivers\stacmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTSMMSG] LTSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Drag'n Drop CD+DVD] C:\Program Files\Drag'n Drop CD+DVD\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe /StartUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C65 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I3S2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C65 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C65"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMEKRMIG6.1] C:\WINDOWS\ime\imkr6_1\IMEKRMIG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [funk] funk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [8e88c36a.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\8e88c36a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LeechGet] "C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\LeechGet.exe" -intray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [8e88c36a.exe] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\8e88c36a.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\AddUrl.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet Wizard - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Wizard.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Mail to a Friend... - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/script/actions/mailto.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Parse with LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Parser.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {3BFFE033-BF43-11D5-A271-00A024A51325} (iNotes6 Class) - https://npsdmail4.np.edu.sg/iNotes6W.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse...pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service (CFSvcs) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: DVD-RAM_Service - Matsubleepa Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hello Murasame and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. After reviewing your log I see a few items that require our attention. Please print these directions and then proceed with the following steps in order.

Step #1

Download CCleaner and install it but do not run it yet.

Step #2

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
Step #3

Start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O2 - BHO: AlxTB BHO - {F1FABE79-25FC-46de-8C5A-2C6DB9D64333} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\AlxTB1.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [funk] funk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [8e88c36a.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\8e88c36a.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [8e88c36a.exe] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\8e88c36a.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Mail to a Friend... - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/script/actions/mailto.htm

Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

Step #4

We need to make sure all hidden files are showing so please:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Find the following files/folders and delete them (don't worry if they are already gone):C:\WINDOWS\System32\AlxTB1.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\8e88c36a.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\8e88c36a.exe

Now perform a search for these files and delete all instances. Windows XP's search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders are checked.funk.exe
Step #5

Start CCleaner and click on the Run Cleaner button in the lower right-hand corner. When it is finished close CCleaner.

Step #6

Reboot normally and run at least 2 of the following on-line virus scans:Bitdefender <<<Add a check by 'Autoclean'.
eTrust <<<'Cure' whatever is found, then delete if unsuccessful
Housecall <<<Put on 'Autoclean' and delete what it can't clean.
Panda ActiveScan <<<Accept default settings
If there are any files that cannot be automatically disinfected or quarantined then you will need to delete them manually.

Step #7

If you do not already have Ad-Aware SE 1.06 then follow these download and setup instructions: Ad-Aware SE Setup. Otherwise, just check for updates.

Start Ad-aware SE, click the Start button and choose Perform Full System Scan. Click the Next button and wait for the scan to complete. If anything was found, right-click on the list and choose Select All and remove all it finds.

Step #8

OK. Reboot your computer normally, start HijackThis and perform a new scan. Use the Add Reply button to post your new log file back here along with details of any problems you encountered performing the above steps and I will review it when it comes in.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

Firstly, thanks for going through my problem and sorry for the late reply. I followed the instructions as posted and there were no problems encountered. However, there are a few other issues that followed.

I ran Bitdefender and went to take a nap while the scan is going on. When I woke up, the antivirus that is installed on my computer (Symantec Antivirus) detected a spyware known as adware.spysherrif. Bitdefender did not find any virus and says no problems are found.

It seems that the Symantec antivirus is unable to detect the adware before I ran the instructions given. After I ran through the procedures, it somehow is able to detect the adware. Now the threat is under quarantine. Should I delete it, or leave it as quarantined? Also, the antivirus has requested reboots so as to remove the threat which I allowed.

This is the log I copied when the notice from the antivirus appeared.

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Threat Found!
Threat: Adware.SpySheriff
File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{27936D83-B508-4E61-8317-BBA05B74B324}\RP269\A0038477.exe
Location: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{27936D83-B508-4E61-8317-BBA05B74B324}\RP269
Computer: SM30
User: SM30\Administrator
Action taken: Pending Side Effects Analysis
Date found: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:21:12 PM

And, it recommended on how to remove the adware and I'm unsure whether to follow it or not.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...spysheriff.html

Anyway, here is the hijackthis log after running through the instructions given.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:12:07 PM, on 11/07/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFNF5.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\SigmaTel AC97 Audio Drivers\stacmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LTSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSBattM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I3S2.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~2\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://runonce.msn.com/
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00THotkey] C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [000StTHK] 000StTHK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFNF5] TFNF5.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TouchED] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPSMain] TPSMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] TFncKy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmaTel StacMon] C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\SigmaTel AC97 Audio Drivers\stacmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTSMMSG] LTSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Drag'n Drop CD+DVD] C:\Program Files\Drag'n Drop CD+DVD\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe /StartUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C65 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I3S2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C65 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C65"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMEKRMIG6.1] C:\WINDOWS\ime\imkr6_1\IMEKRMIG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~2\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LeechGet] "C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\LeechGet.exe" -intray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\AddUrl.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet Wizard - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Wizard.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Parse with LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Parser.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {3BFFE033-BF43-11D5-A271-00A024A51325} (iNotes6 Class) - https://npsdmail4.np.edu.sg/iNotes6W.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse...pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service (CFSvcs) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: DVD-RAM_Service - Matsubleepa Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

Hi Murasame. The log is clean. Good job! How are things running? Any more issues?

The file that Norton is finding is in the restore points and we will clean those out below. Unless you have done a system restore since performing the fixes that file cannot run and will be removed.

Ok, we have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.

First, let's reset your hidden/system files and folders. System files are hidden for a reason and we don't want to have them openly available and susceptible to accidental deletion.
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading UNSELECT Show hidden files and folders.
  • CHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Next, let's clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)
  • Turn off System Restore.
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • CHECK Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Turn ON System Restore.
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
System Restore will now be active again.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend the following free programs:
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
  • SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
You already have a good anti-virus, and you should also have a good firewall for blocking unwanted access to and from your computer. These also are free for personal use:It is best to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit Microsoft Windows Update monthly. Microsoft puts out new updates on the 2nd Tuesday of every month so be sure to check regularly.

And to keep your system clean be aware of what emails you open, what websites you visit, and update and run these free malware scanners once a week:To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

You are really my saviour for pulling out that adware! Thank You!
I did the system restore reset and hid back the system operating files.

I still have one last question. When I updated the version of my antivirus, there is significant slowdown when the computer boots up. Is it natural or it has to do with the settings of the antivirus? Is there anyway to reduce the lag?

#6 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

Hi Murasame. There are alot of complaints regarding Norton and boot times if you do a web search like "Norton slow boot". After looking through a number of the links there doesn't seem to be any definitive fix. Some have found that uninstalling and reinstalling helps while others have not. Some hsave reported that turning off LiveUpdate fixed the problem (but then you need to run LiveUpdate manually and remember to do so frequently).

You might try posting in the XP or Anti-Virus forum and see what others have to say about their experiences.

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#7 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Oh..I see. Thanks again and I have no further enquiries.

#8 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

You're very welcome Murasame. I'm glad that we could help.

Now that your malware issues have been resolved I will close this topic. If you have any new malware issues in the future then please start a new topic.

Cheers.

Have a safe and happy computing day!

OT :thumbsup:
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users