Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flakely Search

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ok I use an external hard drive; 2 T ; this is a biggie and it has files in a folder and files that have never

had a folder beats me why that is the difference and why that's needed.

I do a search in the ext hard drive for files in a folder or for a folder or a file that's never had

a folder so far so good ok ?

The search is all over the map; so I wonder what I keep missing; or whats gotten miss set and how 

do I fix it ?

Sometimes it finds the file or folder; the name that I typed in; I type in the first or second word of what I seek or just the number that a title might have in it and a search should find it correct ?

I don t have to have a full name of the file or folder I search for correct ?     Or am I missing

something ?

Thanks for helping . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

I am not entirely clear what your problem is but it seems that when you enter the name of a file or folder in 'Search' you may or may not find the file or folder you expected to.

I just tried to generate your problem myself on my system by looking for a file that I know exists, and 'Start - search' didn't find it. When I used search to find a file that I know exists in the library 'My photos' it found it without a problem. I am open to correction here, but 'Searching' for files and folders seems to restrict itself to your libraries and the C:\ drive. It is not a function I use often at all because, since by and large I know where my files etc. are, it is quicker to use Windows Explorer.

If I am right and you want to search your external drive then you will be better to use Windows Explorer. If you don't know where this very useful utility lives, in Vista, Win 7 and 8.1 you have an icon for it on the taskbar by default. Failing that, you will find it in 'All programs - Accessories' and this works for XP as well. If you are running Win 8.0, then the  top right corner, bring up the search box and type 'Explorer' in it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

I don t see your problem you've got it is a very round a bout way.

The search in the ext Hard drive doesn t find everything that I type into it might try trying the full name and not one word but

that shouldn t matter because sometimes search finds it and other times it doesn t weird .

Say I want book 123 so I search for 123 in the Ext hard drive search ; the easy way and more times than not its " Not Found "

but sometimes and can t figure out why yet it does .

Will try the harder way use the C drive search when the Ext drive is hooked up ; never easy . 

#4 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

no default search here on the taskbar haven t figured out yet how to get it pinned their but have the C drive search it just a whole lot easyier to use the Ext drive search instead of going back and forth .  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users