Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XBox One IE Browser infection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FFOman

FFOman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

I have a PC, ( Win 7/64 ), a Smart TV w/IEBrowser. a Kindle Fire w/Android Browser, and a new XBox One with an IE Brower added from its list of available applications.  All are connected thru the same home network.  I have a good firewall and virus/malware protection on my PC and have never had any problems with any of these units except this recent one on my XBox One's IE browser.

I was on CNN via my XBox One Broswer when suddenly a message from Microsoft apeared on screen saying there was a high possibility of damage from a virus or malware, and it showed a list of five or six such apps beneath it.  But before I could even read the list, another window poped up in front of it telling me to call 844-526-0221 to fix the problem.  This is a scam sight in India where they try to sell you a $300 "vsnetsecure" application to protect your network.  I'd heard about this on Norton but called anyway to see what they said.  The guy I talked to was obviously a used car salesman in another life so I hung up after hearing his pitch. 

Microsoft seems not to know anything about this problem, and wasn't even aware that there is NO management options available for uninstalling and/or deleting their own IE Browser from their own XBox One!  There is for every other app on the machine except their own!

I don't really need the XBox browser...it's only a matter of convieniance, but since there's no way of getting rid of it or cleaning its file system that I know of, I'm worried this problem might propogate to other apps and/or games on the machine!

Amy help and/or info on this matter will be greatly appreaciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hello. 

I am writing this blind and can't verify this since I am using my school network and EVERYTHING is blocked. 

Try uninstalling Internet Explorer and clearing cache. Restart you console. If anyone has not replied in a few hours, I will check this thread again when I am at home.

Edit: I believe it is just a script that is running, not a virus but like I said. I cannot verify. 

Edited by Beings, 27 April 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#3 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

Is Internet Explorer still not working? 

#4 FFOman

FFOman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Thanx for your response... I did solve the problem and was about to Post the solution when I received notice of your response.  Here's the story:

I had already assumed the problem was caused by a script or Malware because I've beeb programming since 1972 and Microsoft simply doesn't work this way, covering up their owm messages that is!  And one person on the Norton forums verified this for me but didn't know how to solve the problem itself.  So I went to Microsoft's Live network and talked to a number of people there.  Believe it or not, they were not even aware that once the IE browser app is loaded onto the XBox One, there is absolutly no way of deleting/uninstalling it!  Every other app comes with a management menu item allowing this, but not for their own!  Furthermore, they had never seen this problem before either.  Luckily they hung up on me and I was forced to call back yet again, this time getting a CS supervisor who had come across it himself.

The Firewall on XBox One had recognized that an unknown process was running, and it responded by posting the message I was unable to finish reading as well as locking the browser down to prevent any additional problems.  But the scam message was too fast and couldn't be stopped, and once that happens it continues to happen every time you try to use the browser.  The trick to fix it was to launch a second instance of the Browser, and once that is accomplished, to run a search on Bing...IE's default search on the XBox One's browser.  Search for IE itself, and close both instances.  The next time you run the Browser it will work again!  The additional problem I had, and this is only on XBox One, not the 360's, is that there is NO way to actually launch a second instance of the Browser!  You have to Launch Bing from it's place among all the apps.  In my case however, the Bing app did not apear in the apps section!  It had to be found as the last menu item at the bottom of the user games and apps section of the Home page!  Whew!

#5 Handjockey

Handjockey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

Thank you so much FFOman. I was trying to watch Top Gear when this message came up. I wasn't going to ring the number because I assumed it was a scam because of Nortons no affiliation wit Xbox One, as far as I know.

Your method worked instantly. Searched for IE on Bing, it automatically opened a second tab so I could see and close the other one.

Thanks again. I registered for an account here just to thank you, it's very much appreciated.

Eric in Ireland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users