Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Method of Backing up Data folders for Bethesda Titles ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

So I encountered a problem today when i was forced to restore the backup for my Skyrim Data folder.

My existing backup system was using Cobain backup to make a monthly Full backup and a daily or manual differential backup of the data folder.

I decided on this model because with a 25 gigs of mods relying on a direct copy or sync would take up too much space whereas differential backups are generally quite small

The problem i ran into was restoring the differential. The problem is that as anyone knows Bethesda titles can be abnormally sensitive to extra files in the data directory I discovered the hard way that Cobian has no restore function and while replacing the data folder with the full backup and than extracting the differential back into the data folder will Add missing files and overwrite changed files the one thing i cannot do with Cobian is make sure that files removed between the last full and most recent differential backup are properly deleted which results in extra files in the data folder any one of which could causing the same or a worse problem than the one made me have to restore the folder in the first place.

So has anyone come up with a good backup solution for Bethesda titles that would allow me to use differential backups to save disk space but has an automatic restore that ensures that files removed between the full and the most recent differential are properly removed during the restoration of the differential

Edited by mikeloeven, 25 April 2015 - 06:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users