Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows detected a hard disk problem"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kb11

kb11

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

I suddenly got a message on my desktop this morning. See attached image. Attached File  2015-04-25 11.10.42.jpg   65.51KB   0 downloads

Needless to say, it's gotten me a bit worried.

My backup process of C, D, E and F drives is underway. In the meanwhile, any suggestions or help about what should be my next step will be deeply appreciated.

Computer specifications are here: Attached File  Clipboard01.jpg   52.13KB   0 downloads

And Windows has been installed on C drive.

--

Also, while the data is being backed up, I am working out of another drive in another hard disk. Is that unadvisable ?

Many thanks

K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:35 AM

Hello there,

We can do some testing to see if your hard drive's failing.

Please download GSmartControl and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip to a folder, double-click on gsmartcontrol.exe
  • A list of hard drives will appear, single-click each disk to see Drive Information and identify your drive
    note: most machines will only have one or two entries, but an easy way to identify your drive is by its size.
  • Double-click on the hard drive to see detailed Device Information
  • Click on the Attributes tab, do you see any red or pink entries like the ones below? Please list the names in your next reply if there are any.
    info_failing.png
  • Click on the Perform Tests tab
  • Select Extended Self-Test and click Execute
    note: this test can take several hours to run
  • Allow the test to complete, the results will be displayed at the bottom
Please post screenshots of three tabs: Perform Tests, Attributes and Self-test Logs in your next reply.

Regards,
Alex

#3 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:53 AM

Hi Alexstrasza

Thanks for the instructions.

On starting gSmartControl, it immediately identifies the said drive as Failed. Attached File  Clipboard00.jpg   12.85KB   0 downloads

Under Attributes, re-allocated sector count is highlighted in red.

Attached File  111.jpg   119.62KB   0 downloads

On running extended self-test, it fails after a few minutes.

Attached File  Clipboard02.jpg   37.19KB   0 downloads

I tried this thrice, but each time it failed.

Under Self-test logs, this is seen:

Attached File  Clipboard01.jpg   55.46KB   0 downloads

The log saves as a notepad file, and the tabular values don't seem to align. Hence attaching screemshots instead:

Attached File  1.jpg   66.34KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2.jpg   94.92KB   0 downloads

What should be the next step?

--

PS - is there anyway to increase available attachment space on bleepingcomputer.com

I have had to save the screenshots at a very low quality, since I am out if the 512KB of space available for attachments.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:32 AM

These results mean that your hard drive is very close to being dead.

I suggest that you backup all important data ASAP before your HDD fails altogether. Then you can get a new hard drive and reinstall Windows on it.

If you are uncomfortable with using the failing drive, you can pull your data off the drive by using a live Linux CD and a flash drive to store the data.

About the images: The most common practice here is to upload the images to an external hosting service (I use Imgur because it's fast and doesn't require an account) and then paste the link of the image into your post.

Regards,
Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users