Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advanced System Care Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

I don't know if this is allowed or not(I wish the moderators would take a look at this)but I have to say Advanced System Care by Iobit is probably the best antivirus-computer maintenance programs I have ever used. I've used Mcaffee,Norton,avast,and several others and this is hands down the winner for me, Even my 87 year old mother uses this program.Hope this doesn't sound like a blatent commercial,but rather my humble opinion. If you want a program that just really works- this is it---- Comments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:44 PM

Hi paul :)

I'll post what I usually post when I encounter people using IObit products and most specifically, PC Boosters like Advanced System Care. These speeches contains all the information you need to know about these two things and hopefully you'll understand my point of view towards IObit and Advanced System Care by reading them.

warning.gifIObit Software Warning!
IObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", IObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Most of their features can be replaced by using other programs, often, utilities that requires no installation or that are already "built-in" inside Windows. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every IObit program you have installed on your system.

Below are articles that relates the Malwarebytes VS IObit episode and also why IObit failed as a company and within it's products.

warning.gifPC Booster/Tune-Up Program Warning!
"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:

• Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);

Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:

To sum it up:

• Advanced System Care isn't an Antivirus, an Antimalware (IObit Malware Fighter) at best;
  • They stole Malwarebytes definitions, so you might as well uninstall it and use the real program instead, which is Malwarebytes;
  • Programs like Advanced System Care are totally useless and dangerous to use (PC Boosters);
  • It's just a plain scam;

Oh and I suggest you to uninstall it at the first chance you have. I can still go on about it if you want.

Edit: On a side note, there has been a debate on IObit VS other products in the past, and legitimate ones like Malwarebytes and Emsisoft Anti-Malware are way better than it.

Also, from my personal experience for dealing with a lot of issues that were caused by Advanced System Care, this program causes way more issues than it solves.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

WOW! I guess you have had a really bad experience with Iobit. I've used their products for over 4years now and am very happy with them. Out of respect for you,though ,I will read the articles you posted,and respond accordingly. I have had no issues of any kind with them-

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:19 AM

I'm not the only one that had a bad experience with IObit products, a lot of users did and still do. Also, just the fact that the company behind Advanced System Care, IObit, stole the intellectual property of Malwarebytes since they couldn't create a product that was half as good as it should be enough to not use their product, based on morality reasons. And also because their product is already inferior to Malwarebytes because of that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:43 AM

Simple fact, iObit products will ruin your system, if you have Win7 or Win 8 all the tools needed to maintain your PC are already present on your machine, you do NOT need anything else.

There are excellent, tested and approved antivirus programs that are totally free and will give much better protection than anything from Iobit, 

why would anyone pay money for such an inferior product?

Ask yourself why it is this product is not listed by AVTest , AV Comparatives, or VB100 ?

Search the net for a while to see all the problems and system conflicts .

On the other hand, please keep evangelizing  the product , PC repairers make a good living repairing systems broken by people using stuff like this.

I see @ 5 -10 machines a month that were made unusable by " system tuners/carers/boosters"  don't be conned into giving up your hard earned cash on garbage like this.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

Ask yourself why it is this product is not listed by AVTest , AV Comparatives, or VB100 ?

This is basically because like I mentionned above, Advanced System Care isn't an Antivirus, but an Antimalware at most (IObit Malware Fighter) and these companies review Antivirus products, not Antimalware.

Edited by Aura., 25 April 2015 - 12:45 AM.

unite_blue.png

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:11 AM

Aura- are you aware of any current litigation against Iobit? It seems to me ,that if what you say is true,that there would be lawsuits flying all over the place. What are the outcomes concerning this. It seems to me that Malwarebytes would be suing the pants off of Iobit. Maybe not because it's a Chinese company- I don't know if this is possible? Anyway, I agree with you that if it is true ,it is highly unethical. As for one-button fixes for a Windows machine,you are right,it does not exist, however,ASC automates several operations that a lot of people -like myself- don't have the time for.I have also used malwarebytes to find malware,spyware,and PUPs several times on my own and friends computers-

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

I don't know the outcome. I could try to dig in it or ask on the Malwarebytes forums if you want to know. Even thought, they probably won since they had all the proofs that IObit stole their database and was including it in their product. And you can sue anyone, it doesn't matter where they are from in this situation. I can automated a lot of my operations as well without using Advanced System Care. Can you list me a few operations you do via Advanced System Care and don't have the time to do normally?

unite_blue.png

#9 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

This is basically because like I mentionned above, Advanced System Care isn't an Antivirus, but an Antimalware at most (IObit Malware Fighter) and these companies review Antivirus products, not Antimalware.

Advanced System Care is presented as an Antivirus/Cleaner/Booster,    look at their page.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:28 AM

Their latest product does actually include an antivirus program--

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:31 AM

Looks like they only have one real Antivirus engine, and its not their own, its Bitdefender's. Might as well use the original Bitdefender than, why would you use Advanced SystemCare for that? Or better, you use Emsisoft Anti-Malware that have the Bitdefender engine and their own.

unite_blue.png

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

Last month the interwebz was jolted by Malwarebytes' claims of IObit stealing their intellectual property and using it in IObit Security 360. Now, it seems, the fiasco has come to a happy (sort of) ending:
Some weeks ago we presented evidence demonstrating that the Chinese company IObit had stolen Malwarebytes' database and incorporated it into their software. In the days that followed we saw a complete denial of wrongdoing by IObit. They ascribed the matches between their database and our own to anonymous sample submissions, a dubious claim which we debunked.
Nevertheless, IObit did subsequently remove all of Malwarebytes' definitions from their database (thereby cutting their database size by ~40% in one fell swoop). Though we did not receive an apology from them, nor any official acknowledgment of their theft, this reaction speaks for itself. Removal of our intellectual property was what we wanted, and we therefore consider that we have won. We thank the community, online media outlets and our partners for their support in helping us achieve this favorable result.

Now if only Malwarebytes will redesign their interface to look half as attractive as IObit's, all will be well. (Whattttt? I appreciate aesthetics!)

Source:Malwarebytes vs. IObit fiasco comes to a close | Keeping Them Honest | dotTech [.org]

Dude - this was in 2009 - old news

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

Now if only Malwarebytes will redesign their interface to look half as attractive as IObit's, all will be well. (Whattttt? I appreciate aesthetics!)

This is probably just me, but Malwarebytes is fine the way it is. Simple, pretty yet not flashy.

The incidence with Malwarebytes was old, yes - but do you trust a thief to change his way? I know I won't.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

Comments?

Advanced SystemCareFree is a suite of protection, performance and privacy tools by IObit. It provides basic protection from security threats, basic system optimization and auto clean for privacy security when logging on. Optimization includes a registry cleaner that purports to improve performance, make repairs and tune up a computer.

Advanced SystemCare PRO is a more comprehensive optimization suite by IObit with additonal features to include enhanced malware protection, system tuneup, deep registry cleaning, an Internet booster and an assortment of "Smart Tools" for computer maintenance.

Advanced SystemCare Ultimate incorporates the same comprehensive optimization suite with additional security protection which includes BitDefender antivirus technology and the IObit anti-malware engine.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. IOBIT has been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

As for Advanced SystemCare's security and malware protection...many folks are unaware of their past dubious history of stealing from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Although, the Malwarebytes team no longer has an issue with IObit, the vendor's past history and dubious methods would not warrant a recommendation from me to use or trust their software.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

There's nothings wrong with Malwarebytes interface to be honest. Its quite user friendly and simple to understand too. There's no reasons based on facts to use Advanced System Care or that its better than other Antivirus and Antimalware as well.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users