Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

putting a police scanner online??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shackman81

shackman81

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

Hello all,

I am trying to create  a website for locals to access my police scanner and listen online, comment, etc... sort of like this scanner here https://www.facebook.com/masoncitypolicescanner?fref=ts

What software and or hardware do I need?

Thanks

Edited by computerxpds, 24 April 2015 - 11:15 PM.
Move to All Other Applications from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:39 AM

Other people here are way smarter than me, but I think that you might need a server.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

I can't offer advice on the hardware you would need for this but you need to be careful with this sort of thing and check out your local laws and regulations.

In general it is not an offence to receive a wireless transmission made in clear, but it can be to act on it or to publish / re-transmit it. It would be a pity to go to the lengths of setting up the system you are thinking about only to find the forces of law and order kicking your door in the next day.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 shackman81

shackman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

I can't offer advice on the hardware you would need for this but you need to be careful with this sort of thing and check out your local laws and regulations.

In general it is not an offence to receive a wireless transmission made in clear, but it can be to act on it or to publish / re-transmit it. It would be a pity to go to the lengths of setting up the system you are thinking about only to find the forces of law and order kicking your door in the next day.

Chris Cosgrove

I have checked into the laws regarding this.  It is completely legal to broadcast  as long as you are not profiting off of it.  And even if you do profit, they have admitted that they don't really care or enforce it much unless it had a public outcry or other illegal things were going on.

#5 shackman81

shackman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

Bump

#6 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

http://www.police-scanner.info/live-police-scanners.htm

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#7 shackman81

shackman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

That's not quite what I'm looking for.  That's somebody else who put a police scanner online.  I want to put my own police scanner online.  Plus that site is full of harmful viruses.

#8 shackman81

shackman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

Bump

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

Have you looked into the server idea?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 shackman81

shackman81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

Not yet because if I go out and get a server I still don't know what to do with the server, or if I even need it.

#11 adamforum

adamforum

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

Check out Broadcastify:  http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/

Broadcastify allows you to stream audio from your scanner to their server (one feed from your computer to the server)  The server replicates the feed on demand so if a huge number of people want to listen in to your scanner, your Internet connection is not affected anymore than if a single user was listening.

IIRC, people who provide scanner feeds qualify for a free membership account.  Membership accounts enable you to listen to archives of past transmissions.

If you don't want to use a service like Broadcastify, there is significantly more work for you to make the feed available to the general public (e.g. you need the bandwidth/replication servers, web based audio players (typically HTML5/Flash), etc.

Good luck,

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users