Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New install, new hard drive, but hard drive never stops

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gpxguy

gpxguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:53 PM

I've had this problem now for a while, the hard drive light is constantly flashing and you can hear the drive doing what it does, so decided to go ahead and do an upgrade.  Bought a new 2TB WD hard drive, and did a new install of Win 7 Home Edition.  

Problem still exists.  I am looking at the Resource Monitor > Disk Activity and there is a lot of stuff going on.  I've captured a screen shot.  Can anyone tell me what is going on and can I stop this madness?  I left my computer running all night, woke up around 4 am, and it is just as busy as ever.

Ran malwarebytes on it today and says everything is clean.

Help.

Thanks!Attached File  hard drive activity.PNG   607.48KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sage19

sage19

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

Pretty much just looking like windows indexing your hard drive on a clean install. Pretty normal. SearchIndexer.exe is the windows indexing programing, that is reading the files and the data being written below that to the programdata\microsoft\search\ directories is where the indexed data is stored. This just makes it faster to search for files using the Windows search function. Leave the computer on for a couple of days and it should finish shortly.

However I have seen it where if you have a file that is corrupted for some reason it will cause the search indexer to lock on that file. If you restored old data to your drive windows will reattempt to index all of that old data, and potentially run into a problem file. 

If it just drives ya nuts though you can just disable the searchindexer service by hitting Start, typing services.msc, hit enter. Towards the bottom of the list find the service named Windows Search, double click it and change the startup type to disabled. Restart and you should see decreased disk activity, but will find that if you search for files it will be a bit slower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users