Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor freezes, turns fuzzy and forces me to restart

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Edwarric

Edwarric

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

I recently bought a desktop and monitor and plugged everything all in - all good. But randomly my monitor freezes or loses signal and turns fuzzy, sometimes resetting itself. When my monitor goes fuzzy like a TV screen, and loses signal, my desktop is still running normally, it's just nothing is being displayed. But recently everything seems to be freezing....
Im from the UK and I have a Lenovo X510 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Erazer-Tower-Desktop-Black/dp/B00LM9T8EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429918412&sr=8-1&keywords=LENOVO+X510) that I connect to a BenQ monitor (http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2430T--inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00MCX4Q2G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429918463&sr=8-3&keywords=Benq+monitor+gaming) via a displayport cable.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers but to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to solve this issue.
Thank you
P.s. I realise there is a very similar post a year older, but none of those solutions worked for me unfortunately

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

If all is well at the start and then the video goes bad I'd suspect the video card. Either it is failing or it's getting hot and can't work correctly.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Edwarric

Edwarric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:52 AM

How can I see if my video card is overheated?
Also, this morning, my cursor was really big! Whether this is coincidence or something to do with the drivers, I don't know???

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

Have you tried using a different monitor to see if the monitor is the problem?

I know that you have tried reinstalling the graphics driver, but it would be worth determining if this is the problem.  A quick way to determine this set the computer to boot into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and files.  In Safe Mode the graphics driver used is a native Windows driver.  This will allow the graphics to operate without using the specific driver provided by the manufacturer.  When you use this driver and the problem doesn't persist you will know that this is driver related.  If the problem persists, this is an indication that there may be a problem with the dedicated graphics card.

To boot into Safe Mode go to Search and type in msconfig, click on it when you see it appear.

When System Configuration opens tap/click on the Boot tab.

When the Boot section opens click on Safe boot in the Boot options.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

You will receive a message asking you if you wish to restart the computer, click/tap on Restart.

The computer will now boot into safe mode.

When you are finished in Safe Mode, reopen the System Configuration and remove the check in the Safe boot box, then restart your computer.

Edited by dc3, 25 April 2015 - 11:28 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Edwarric

Edwarric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

Hello again, sorry for taking so long, but the problem hadn't arised for a couple of days, then it hit me again...

Anyway, so I booted my PC in safe mode and there were no problems. I noticed that there was no internet connection or desktop backgrounds but I guess this was pretty standard of safe mode.

I am starting to think that there is a problem with the desktop and not the monitor because the recent 'freeze' incident (my computer froze, monitor display frozen, no buttons worked, display would turn on and off but nothing, all buttons disabled it seemed) left me to switch of my computer from the mains, and then wait 10s, and then switching my computer back on again. The monitor turned on but could not find a signal because my desktop did not start up when I pressed the ON button - it was not working.

I have encountered this problem before and what I did was swap the monitor and desktop power cables around and everything worked again (temporarily). I have done so again (swapped the cables around) in order to test my computer in safe mode. I don't think there is a problem with the cables because the monitor worked all the time with either of the cables.

Someone believed the problem to be with the RAM as he had a similar problem and when he got his desktop serviced, that is what they said the issue was.

I bought my desktop and monitor from Amazon online (UK) so I don't think I can simply ask them to service the desktop, but I think I would be entitled for a replacement because the desktop is 'faulty'. 

Is there any other thoughts or ideas where this problem could lie because I don't really want to have to pack it all up and send it back and then wait a couple more weeks for a new one...

Thanks for all the help!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Since you live in the UK and this is a new computer you have done all that you reasonably can without opening up the case, which would risk voiding your warranty.

Your next step is to take this up with Amazon as the company you bought it from and raise a complaint. Be polite but firm, and give as much information as possible. You shouldn't have a problem as they have a pretty good reputation for customer service.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Edwarric

Edwarric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the advice, Chris. I've sent them an email.
Thanks everyone for all the help. Even though it didn't necessarily work for me this time, I'll remember the tips for the future if I do ever come across a problem like this... Hopefully not!

Thanks again.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

Keep us posted. I've used Amazon US and had good results with customer service.

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users