Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peripherals Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SkyGuy98

SkyGuy98

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

I am an avid Mac user, but have a couple of older windows PCs. I also have experience repairing computers. The computer I need help with is a HP Pavilion m9000. It used to have Windows Vista but I put Ubuntu 14.04 on it. It has worked since I bought it in 2009, but a couple of weeks ago, I tried to turn it on, and the tower booted, but no externals worked (I use a wireless mouse, plug-in keyboard, and HDMI/VGA monitor). I have opened the tower and cleaned inside, as well as looked for loose wires and other problems, but it still does not work. If I could get the keyboard and monitor to work long enough to boot to USB, I might be okay, but the keyboard does not do any input and the monitor does not receive a signal. 

What can I do to fix my computer? 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

Do you still have the Ubuntu Disc..??

if you do try booting it as a Live disc to see if all the things that aren't working  do still work  ......then if they do then you know to look towards the hard drive.. either failing or somehow the OS has got loused up and is not reaaly booting.

BUT   thinking again !!!! if you arent getting any signal from the Bios. which should show on a monitor...then that wouldnt work anyway....

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

m9000 is a series of 94 models, so it's a bit hard to know the actual hardware configuration, but does the system give a BIOS confirmation beep at boot up? Also when you say if you could get the monitor to work long enough, does it give any screen display at all?

Another factor that could help in diagnosis is knowing whether the system is using on-board video or if a video card is fitted.

I deleted the duplicate topics, and since this one which was originally in the Linux forum already had one response, I'll transfer it to hardware since the problem appears to be hardware rather than OS related.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 SkyGuy98

SkyGuy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

m9000 is a series of 94 models, so it's a bit hard to know the actual hardware configuration, but does the system give a BIOS confirmation beep at boot up? Also when you say if you could get the monitor to work long enough, does it give any screen display at all?

Another factor that could help in diagnosis is knowing whether the system is using on-board video or if a video card is fitted.

I deleted the duplicate topics, and since this one which was originally in the Linux forum already had one response, I'll transfer it to hardware since the problem appears to be hardware rather than OS related.

Platypus ~ The specific model is m9340f. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS graphics card in the machine, but plugging VGA into the integrated ports still does not work. Also, Shadow-Warrior, Because I cannot use the keyboard, I cannot boot to USB or CD, and I get no beep from the machine when booting. There is never any flash of a signal from the computer to the monitor.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

If there is no beep confirming boot success (most systems issue one, and there appears to be a beeper adjacent to the CMOS backup battery), then most likely the PSU is turning on and things like fan(s) and probably hard drive are running, but the system is not actually managing to boot. If this is the situation, then some hardware diagnosis will be needed. If you feel confident trying this (as you've already mentioned opening the case, cleaning & checking), remember to ground yourself by touching the metal computer case to discharge static potential before handling any components in the case.

My first suggestion for something simple to try would be to see if clearing the CMOS memory has any effect. Occasionally the CMOS memory can be corrupted by some random event like a static discharge, and it sets an unbootable condition.

To clear the CMOS, with the system not powered on, move the jumper labelled CLEAR CMOS at the edge of the mainboard adjacent to the RAM slots, from its active position shorting pins 4-6 to the alternative position shorting pins 2-4 for about 10 seconds, then return it.

If the system then boots up, it may be necessary to enter the BIOS setup and select any non-default operating parameters if that system requires.

If still no boot up, the next step would normally be to see if the board can start up without any connections to any devices like drives and card reader and with the video card and memory removed. If the CPU can start, there should be continuous beeping to complain about the absence of memory. Things can then be restored one by one and booting tried again, until it's revealed which component is preventing boot up.

If the system doesn't start with just the CPU in the mainboard, that would indicate the PSU should be checked to see if a supply rail is missing or out of spec, or a mainboard/CPU fault suspected.

Edited by Platypus, 25 April 2015 - 02:56 AM.

#6 SkyGuy98

SkyGuy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

If there is no beep confirming boot success (most systems issue one, and there appears to be a beeper adjacent to the CMOS backup battery), then most likely the PSU is turning on and things like fan(s) and probably hard drive are running, but the system is not actually managing to boot. If this is the situation, then some hardware diagnosis will be needed. If you feel confident trying this (as you've already mentioned opening the case, cleaning & checking), remember to ground yourself by touching the metal computer case to discharge static potential before handling any components in the case.

My first suggestion for something simple to try would be to see if clearing the CMOS memory has any effect. Occasionally the CMOS memory can be corrupted by some random event like a static discharge, and it sets an unbootable condition.

To clear the CMOS, with the system not powered on, move the jumper labelled CLEAR CMOS at the edge of the mainboard adjacent to the RAM slots, from its active position shorting pins 4-6 to the alternative position shorting pins 2-4 for about 10 seconds, then return it.

If the system then boots up, it may be necessary to enter the BIOS setup and select any non-default operating parameters if that system requires.

If still no boot up, the next step would normally be to see if the board can start up without any connections to any devices like drives and card reader and with the video card and memory removed. If the CPU can start, there should be continuous beeping to complain about the absence of memory. Things can then be restored one by one and booting tried again, until it's revealed which component is preventing boot up.

If the system doesn't start with just the CPU in the mainboard, that would indicate the PSU should be checked to see if a supply rail is missing or out of spec, or a mainboard/CPU fault suspected.

Thank you, Platypus! The CMOS Memory reset fixed it!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

That's a very pleasing result! Glad to help.

#8 SkyGuy98

SkyGuy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

Well, It only worked for a couple of minutes, now I'm back to nothing...

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

Did the computer work for that time and shut off, or did it fail to boot again? If boot failed again, it's possible the CMOS backup battery has gone flat.

#10 SkyGuy98

SkyGuy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I will buy a CMOS battery because I tried to boot again and it failed to show anything.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Let us know how you go.

#12 SkyGuy98

SkyGuy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Hey, sorry It has been so long. I put in the new CMOS battery and now the computer won't even turn on... I have tried resetting the CMOS memory again too, but to no avail. What should my next step be?

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

Does the computer not respond to the power button in any way? There may have been a different hardware fault all along, that just gave a random result looking like CMOS data loss.

Are there any signs of bad capacitors on the board? (Electrolytic capacitors bulging or leaking) 

http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/vp6_hm/index.html

Hardware faults always require a process of elimination to track down the culprit. Non starting can also be a PSU fault (including bad caps in the PSU), for which the best thing for elimination as cause is to get to try a different known good PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users