Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to avoid BSOD due to BAD_POOL_HEADER

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Good evening,

Three times has my PC gone through this particular BSOD during the last 10 days. Never before, since it was built over 2 or 3 years ago, have I had a BSOD. This is my PC config:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zsQtyZ4dqfujTY2a7dNrQGK

A bit of recent history. The first time it appeared after I had tweaked the PC with Teaking.com-Simple System Tweaker to verify if there could be a noticeable effect on performance.

This program has a backup and restore mechanism. Before tweaking I backed up my registry. By the way, I don't use registry cleaners. I don't know if this would have something to do with it but I am sure different cleaners wipe different stuff and the registry is something not to be trifled with. Extra registry entries weigh in the kilobytes range and that would not make a dent in your performance. When I didn't notice any significant difference in performance with the tweaks, I clicked on the Restore button to get back where I was

That was when the first BSOD occurred. And Windows would not reboot. So I used a Windows repair disk and entered the prompt command. Botrec.exe /fixmbr said OK. Then bootrec.exe /fixboot also. But it didn't boot. So I searched for an operational system and found a Windows.old in a Drive E: which surprised me a lot since I had never seen it there before.

Anyway, I got an almost naked Window screen. This allowed me to open the Task Manager and click on New Task. First I navigated to where my Aomei backups were but Windows has no tool to open them.

I keep all the software installers in Drive F:, so I tried to get there. I did but Task Manager did not open the softwares folder. But using the Browse alternative I got in and downloaded the Aomei backupper and was able to restore the PC to 4 days before. Whenever the PC is working smoothly and after scanning it with an antivirus and an antimalware, I do a backup and erase the older one.

I normally keep 3 System backups all the time and do this two or three times a month.

I do not use the windows image restore because you are warned that it will erase your partitions, format your disk and then install the image it has. Aomei restores your OS and doesn't touch any other drive except C:\  Of course you lose all program files, but if you have kept all of them in a separate folder and in a separate drive, together with the passwords, you won't have to go to the bother of calling, explaining and, after some hassle recover the keys.

This is important to me because I live overseas but download software from the US paying with a credit card.

The second time I got a BSOD was when I was running a customized full scan with Bitdefender. A window popped up saying I was in a critical situation and you have the option to view the suspicious file. It was a file of classical music by Beethoven and was in a WD 2GB external drive.

I tried deleting it, but Delete didn´t work. So I did a forced uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro. The BSOD mentioned BAD_POOL_HEADER (in capital letters).

I somehow managed to get back to normal and ran a customized full scan of that external HDD with Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium. It showed no infections. So after that I did the same with my Bitdefender Total Security 2015. Again a BSOD with the same BAD_POOL_HEADER.

I had the idea that this message could indicate a memory misallocation so I tried to run a memtest from Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Windows Memory Diagnostic. But that didn't work.

I also thought there could be something wrong with Bitdefender. Twice I submitted their error and explained what I was doing before. Really nothing. I closed all applications started the full scan and returned in a couple of hours.

Memory Diagnostic instructions said I should reboot and that after rebooting the memtest would start. As a matter of fact it offered two alternatives and I used both of them. Nothing happened.

I thought there may be a reason they didn't want to go to the memory. I know this sounds absolutely stupid. But clearly they were not working.

So I thought there might be a very deep rooted virus or rootkit (of the bad ones) which Malwarebytes didn´t detect and Bitdefender did but could not eliminate or disable. I downloaded and ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and the Kaspersky TDSS. Everything absolutely clean.

I know you people can see a virus even if you're blind. That is why I provided all this lengthy information for which I apologize because I know your time is short and valuable.

I also came here, and this is surely my main reason, because I know that quietman7 is somewhere there to guide my possible helpers. I have read his posts which have definitely convinced me that he is an expert on the matter.

Thank you all and again I apologize for this interminable, lengthy and tedious post.

passacaglia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

I have successfully eliminated the BSOD

Thank you all for your help.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:15 AM

Hello .

I was tempted to reply to your problem when you first posted, but the standard font size used is 14 (not 18) and there is no need to use Bolded text for your posts , this is like yelling and trying to "overpower" the question area  :clapping: (as you can read by all other posts here).

There is a good reason for this, and it is so all posts are uniform, and bold or up size is only used to stress or highlight certain areas in special responses .

When, or if, you do have any reason to do this, please post the reason.

Thank You  :) .

#4 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

Noknojon

Thank you for the information. I was unaware of the protocol. I don't recall reading it in any instructions for the forum post. I did not intend to "yell" at anybody. I am a insulin depended diabetic and have already lost part of my eyesight. I can see what I write much more easily if I use a greater size font and bold writing.

I apologize to anybody who has felt "yelled at" and will, in the future, stick to the normal font. You can verify that in answers to posts I have also used bold type oversized fonts. So when I have a problem I'm not yelling at anybody, I am simply using the letter types I have throughout this forum.

As you required, I have posted the reason for doing this. Besides, they are much easier to read. I hope you understand and accept my apology.

:-))

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

There is no need to apologize for the font size you used.

There is no requirement to use a certain size.

We do know that some people do have vision issues and you need to do what is best for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 April 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#6 ask4jon

ask4jon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

passacaglia

as a community we consist of those who need help and those that offer help. all are appreciated. there are also those who read the forums and answer just rudely and off topic (like this one here, sorry) there should be some sort of a real moderator who has a modicum of knowledge and common sense who would delete those posts such as your respondent who criticized your post. too bad we don't live in a perfect world. his comment probably would not have helped  your issue anyway.

#7 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

Thank you for your understanding

I mean no harm and, hopefully, do no harm. Certainly not in a place where we get together to help ourselves and others.

If there is anything I am doing that seems improper, please let me know. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users