Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot decrypt "Unbroken"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

I purchased the movie "Unbroken". When tying to make a backup I receive an error message to this effect. "temporarily muted due to Cinavia protection. not authorized for playback on this device". Tried Anydvd to Shrink to Imgburn. Not working. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

Making copies of copyrighted materials isn't exactly legal. I'm not sure you will find too much help here.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

Making copies of copyrighted materials isn't exactly legal. I'm not sure you will find too much help here.

Dick

I thought it was legal to make a backup copy of a disk I purchased legally, if this is not the case most of the people I have been in touch with over years on many boards must also be lawbreakers.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,540 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

Looks like this is the error message you are getting.

http://www.cinavia.com/pages/message3.html

I'm sorry, but according to this, what you're doing is illegal since you didn't bought a copy which was made to be copied.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:25 AM

At that point you learn the difference between Copyright and Copywrong...  :mellow:

In my country (Belgium) it is legal to backup such a movie but I can not legally do it because of the Cinavia protection...

There are programs (DVD/BD rippers) that can help you but look first if they're legal in your country !

More help I can not give you...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#6 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

Looks like this is the error message you are getting.

http://www.cinavia.com/pages/message3.html

I'm sorry, but according to this, what you're doing is illegal since you didn't bought a copy which was made to be copied.

Bought it on e-bay, guess it might have been a copy, how does one know? Oh I was able to view the same disk on another  model BluRay player. Wonder why the Ciavia did not hinder the disk on a different player? Add-on, Have discovered that blu-ray players made prior to Feb. 2102 have no Cinavia protection.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,540 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:38 PM

I'm not an expert in Copyright Infringements and Digital Copyright Protection so I can't tell. Right now, I see that what you're trying to do is blocked by a security that was put in place on the disc, and I don't usually help with bypassing current security measures put in place since in a way it could be illegal.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:36 PM

There is a difference between making backups of computer programs, for which you have purchased a license or subscription, and copying entertainment materials, which could be passed on to others.

Unless your license or subscription states that you are permitted to make a single backup copy for your personal use, any copying would be illegal.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

One of the Forum Rules states the following:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

All of the statements above...contain some truth....but seem to error in assuming that there is intent...to do something which contravenes the forum rules.

Rather than get into a pointless debate about what is "copyright infringement" and "intent"...I will say that Cinavia apparently has an agreement with authorized reps/distributors of said item...to provide its service.  That means that any effort to overcome said service has the same legal impact as attempts to defeat other licensing arrangements which software may employ.

OTOH...a simple Google reveals many purported topics where users detail their handling of similar situations.