Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Shutting Down During Scans

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

On advice from machiavelli, I am starting this thread here, after first posting it in the virus section. 

System: Win 7 pro 64 bit. 

The problem is that with scans from various security programs: microsoft's MSE antivirus scanner, Superantispyware, etc, windows was shutting down in mid scan. 

Nothing so far has fixed the problem.

MSE full scans run completely in safe mode however, although it is taking over 2 hours when previously a full scan took 1-1/2 hour.

My last quick scan with MSE in normal mode completed successfully.  

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2015 - 02:25 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

Desktop or laptop?  If laptop, maybe proc and/or HD getting too hot.  If that turns out to be the case:  get an external cooling assembly.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hello,

Can you download and run/ post a link to the screen shot of Speccy?  You may have a piece of hardware failing or maybe a corrupt system file.  After speccy please try running a scan with SFC /scannow from an elevated dos prompt.  Be sure to have the windows disk in the cdrom when you do this. Let me know if you need further instructions.

#4 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Desktop or laptop?  If laptop, maybe proc and/or HD getting too hot.  If that turns out to be the case:  get an external cooling assembly.

Laptop. Yes, I know of the overheating problem especially since I have been told I have a fast machine. 

I have just run a Superantispyware scan successfully in normal mode with no shut down.  If overheating were the problem then the laptop would shut down even during safemode scans, wouldn't it?  but it has never done this. 

I bought two small external fans giving me four small additonal fans underneath the laptop.  

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hello,

Can you download and run/ post a link to the screen shot of Speccy?  You may have a piece of hardware failing or maybe a corrupt system file.  After speccy please try running a scan with SFC /scannow from an elevated dos prompt.  Be sure to have the windows disk in the cdrom when you do this. Let me know if you need further instructions.

Can you give me the link to the latest SFC. 

And also please explain how to make an elevated DOS prompt.  I always open command prompt as admin which I am. So assume you mean type into command prompt the following: "SFC/scannow"

The disks I have are the Sony recovery disks and backup disks, all of which I burned when I got the laptop.

I have 4 Sony Recovery disks.  

Then I have 2 backup disks.  

Then I have another set of 2 Windows recovery disks.

Is there any way to tell which of my recovery disks is the right one?

Edited by Achaemenid, 25 April 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yYjtX7wwXZ00nyECbedZQP1

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

The temperature of your CPU at the time the Speccy was created was at 69 degrees C.  That's high, but this CPU doesn't usually start having problems till it reaches 80 to 85 degree C.  I would suggest purchasing a canned duster (inaccurately called canned air) and blow out the insides by blowing through the side vents.

The S.M.A.R.T. attributes show  that the reallocation event count and the current pending sector count of one.  Just to be on the safe side, I would suggest you run a diagnostic on the hdd.

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

6.  When the scan is complete you will see Test results, post the status.  If it is green it has passed the scan.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

==========

You can use the instructions below to run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box. 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlar to the image above.

Copy and paste the following in the Elevated Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic. 

==========

It appears that this is a Sony Vaio, what is the model?

This computer should have a recovery partition which you can use to revert the operating system back to the condition it came out of the box.  If you have all of your important data backed up to removable media this would be one option for resolving this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 4,035 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

The temperature of your CPU at the time the Speccy was created was at 69 degrees C

On idle it is much too high. Achaeminid, while you have run Speccy was your CPU in idle?

~Machiavelli

If I don't reply within 24 hours please PM me!

• Every topic with no replies within 5 days will be closed.
  • If you like my help here please give me feedback.

unite_blue.png

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

As pointed out, max operating range for this CPU is 0-100 Celsius.

I'd like to see the MiniToolBox data.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

As pointeed out, max operating range for this CPU is 0-100 Celsius.

The maximum temperature is 100 degrees C, but that does not mean that the CPU is going to be stable at that kind of temperature.  In fact, I recently read where throttling can occur around 80 - 85 degrees C with this CPU.

I agree with Machiavelli, that would be high for an idle temperature.

Edited by dc3, 25 April 2015 - 02:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

YeahBleeping suggested I run SFC/scannow from an elevated DOS prompt. 

Should I still run this or follow the suggestions of other respondents?  I am assuming if I stick in the first Sony recovery disk, it will give me a menu of options. 

I will run the other scan suggested and do the SFC/scannow later. 

I just tried to run a full MSE scan, but windows shut down. 

Regarding idle, I am not sure what that means.  Sometimes I am not using the machine during a scan and the screen will go black but stay on.  I use it off and on during scans. 

Edited by Achaemenid, 26 April 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

I would suggest that you run the SeaTools scan first to rule out a problem with the hdd.

I would also suggest that you run the MiniToolBox as Louis suggested.  This will show the latest ten error from the Event Viewer, this could point us toward a specific problem.

I would also suggest running the System File Checker (sfc /scannow).  If you use the instructions I posted you will see how to locate the log of the scan, post that in your topic.

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

If overheating were the problem then the laptop would shut down even during safemode scans, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily.

A lot less is going on in safe mode; giving the scanners free access. In normal boot lots of stuff is reading/writing to the drive and causing more stress when scanning, defragging etc. There may even be more than one active antivirus/antmalware scanning:This causes a lot more heat. A HDD will shut down at a much lower temp that CPU or GPU. If that drive got to 60c or greater (which I feel is possible in it's environment), this may contribute shut-downs.

Can you locate a software to give maximum temps the drive has endured?

#14 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

I would suggest that you run the SeaTools scan first to rule out a problem with the hdd.

I would also suggest that you run the MiniToolBox as Louis suggested.  This will show the latest ten error from the Event Viewer, this could point us toward a specific problem.

I would also suggest running the System File Checker (sfc /scannow).  If you use the instructions I posted you will see how to locate the log of the scan, post that in your topic.

I just tried to run SeaTools.  In normal mode both times the scan failed.  In Safe Mode the scan also failed. 

I will try the other MiniTools and SFC next. 

To bludgard: I will do a search for this unless someone here has a suggestion. 

Edited by Achaemenid, 26 April 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

Failed as it failed the test, or failed to produce results one way or another?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users