Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem during initial startup of Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

Newly purchased Dell XPS 8700 desktop, just out of the box, initial launch of Windows 7 Professional (the way the machine came, intention is then to upgrade to 8.1 Pro before installing our working software), it said there were 112 updates to install, that proceeded up to #91 where it is now stuck during installation, no progress for more than one hour.  What to do?

Update #91 is listed as Security Update for Microsoft.net framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

As a matter of practice, I always install .NET updates separately by themselves after installing all other updates and patches for the OS. I cannot remember the last time I had a .NET installation failure doing it that way.

If you encounter repeated issues, sometimes it's better to just uninstall/reinstall .NET Framework. Remove all versions of .NET Framework via Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel. Restart the computer when done, then go to Windows update or Microsoft's download center for .NET Framework versions to download and reinstall .NET Framework.This is the procedure provided by Aaron Stebner in his Blog article What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help. Aaron works for Microsoft, answers questions at the MSDN forums and writes about .NET Framework issues on his Blog.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 enemyofthestate

enemyofthestate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

1.power unit off

2.power up

3.go to windows update and try it again

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 607 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

It was my secretary setting up the computer - she is fairly computer savvy and used to Windows 8.  Since we are going to upgrade immediately to Windows 8.1 Pro, I wonder if it is even necessary to install all the updates to Windows 7 before proceeding?  Or should we perform a complete update at each step in the upgrade process?

This computer came with pre-installed McAfee Live Safe, a one year prepaid subscription.  It seemed reasonable to me to use that until near its expiration date, before perhaps changing to a different antivirus suite.  I am somewhat partial to Avast! (good software, terrible billing practices) but think it has probably been responsible for difficulty upgrading from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

Please excuse any typos, I am typing this on my home laptop and after working all day in the sun I can hardly make out letters on the screen.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have not upgraded any systems to Windwos 8.1 so I had to check.

These are the instructions from Microsoft...Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7

You won't be able to keep programs and settings when you upgrade. Be sure to locate your original program installation discs or purchase confirmation emails if you bought programs online. You'll need these to reinstall your programs after you upgrade to Windows 8.1—this includes, for example, Microsoft Office, Apache OpenOffice, and Adobe programs.

Gizmag says the same...How to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8.1

...there are a few things you need to know before going ahead with the upgrade. The main thing to know is that, unlike upgrading Windows 8 to 8.1, your files and data will transfer, but you'll need to re-install all of your software applications.

They only address installing OS updates after the upgrade to Windows 8.1.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 607 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

This computer came with a free upgrade to Windows 8.1 "built in".  We have not installed any files or programs and won't be doing so until the upgrade to Windows 8.1 is complete. Our secretary who is setting this machine up has been running 8.1 on her home computers for some time and probably knows more about all this than I do.

By 6:15 pm Friday the "hung" computer had somehow unstuck itself, completed the update and shut itself off.  Untouched by human hands, our office is closed to the public on Fridays and I had other things to do, so the computer sat unattended for most of the day.  We will find out more on Monday.

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 607 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Update to previous - the MS updates ran to completion, the Win 8.1 upgrade was completed successfully (thanks to excellent support from Dell, a great contrast to my last experience with them), we are now in the mode of switching over applications from the old XP box.  We have an office subscription to MS Office 365 for up to 5 machines.  Question arising, how to install it on the new machine?  Also, I note that the E-mail address listed for our Office account is obsolete and no longer valid (i.e. we won't receive mail sent to that address).  How to fix that?  I'm sure we have a M$ acount but no longer have any idea what it is called or what the password might be.  There must be some way to recover that information from Microsoft, but how?  

EDIT 4/27 3:39 pm - Office 365 was installed on this machine only (Dell laptop running Win 8.0).  Initial installation was more than one year ago and the account has been renewed automatically once.  There has to be some way of recovering the necessary information?

Edited by saluqi, 27 April 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

Glad to hear the upgrade was successful.

As for MS Office 365, I suggest you start a new topic and ask in the Business Applications forum which includes MS Office Products.

Another option is to ask in the Microsoft Community Office Forums for your specific version or one of the Office Communities.

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 607 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

The Microsoft issues were resolved after a three hour phone call with MS support.  Just for the record, the account could be identified by the credit card number I had used to open it.  It is linked to a no longer valid E-mail address and MS was unable to change that linkage.  So we will have to allow that subscription to expire at the next renewal date (March 2016), and then re-subscribe using the other MS account which is linked to our currently valid address.  MS insisted that the old address was "still valid" although we terminated that account in August 2014 and mail sent there will certainly no longer reach us.  It took me more than an hour to convince the MS tech that no, that account was really no longer active.

If it would be useful I will be happy to post this information, in slightly more extended form, in the Business Applications forum.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

I think it would be useful to repost that information in the Business Applications forum as others with a similar problem could benefit from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users