Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forced M S upgrades

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

I am using win 8.1 and will keep it and not upgrading to anything else from M S  so what am I looking for and where do I look

to make sure I am not forced in upgrades and can it stopped before the fact and not after ?

If an upgrade sneaks in under my radar how do I revert back to 8.1  ?   :  (

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi Pestyone :)

What are you afraid of right now? You're afraid that Microsoft makes you upgrade, but upgrade to what? Windows 10? This isn't the case right now and it won't be until at least 3 months. Plus, I really doubt that they'll force an upgrade to Windows 10 via a silent update, this would be unethical and a lot of users would complain about it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

Ok but it wouldn t be shocked if M S  tried that  :  ( 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

I honestly would be shocked. Forcing the users to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 is kind of acceptable to me, since Windows 8 was a "mess up" and Windows 8.1 improved it by a lot. But forcing the users to upgrade via a silent upgrade to a whole new OS, then this would be totally new. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. If you ever install a Windows Update you don't like, you can always uninstall it via the List of Installed Updates panel. Simply select it and select "Uninstall".

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jolter

jolter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hi Pestyone, I'm not worried about MS forcing me to update to 10 but I was reading somewhere (possibly cnet) that in the last batch of updates or maybe the ones before them that one of the updates did have something to do with Windows 10. It might have been the KB3035583 one. I could not find the file on it but I do have the update installed.
I don't know much about it. Maybe someone who knows more about this will weigh in about what its all about. I doubt its anything to worry about.

#6 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Wouldn t be sure which updates to trash ; I have noticed that the more updates I get the worse and slower win 8.1 runs any the hum 

whats the right word ; messy or messier things are.     Wish I ignore all updates ho hum  : (

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

jolter you are talking about an update that created a "GWX" folder and an executable that is called "Get Windows 10". Right now, it's not being used and it's been explained that this folder and executable will be used to construct the future "Upgrade Advisor" to Windows 10. Exactly like Windows 7 have for Window 8/8.1, and Windows 7/8/8.1 have to upgrade editions. Simple as that. Also Pestyone, if you don't have any issues other than slowness (which could be caused by many other things other than the Windows Updates), I suggest you to keep all your Windows Updates installed and not touch them.

unite_blue.png

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

In my personal opinion, given the tactics which ms used (and is still using) to try and make users "upgrade" from 8 to 8.1 I would not be surprised if they try to forcibly upgrade 8.1 to 10.

Pestyone: my advice to you is make sure to be careful which windows updates you install, as far as I know ms has no means of making changes to your computer other than by installing updates which perform particular actions, so you need to be careful which updates you allow and as long as none of the nasty ones are allowed you should be fine. At present windows 8.1 users should avoid KB2976978 KB3013816 KB3035583 and KB3044374, check on these threads for other warnings.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570775/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573095/get-windows-x-gwx/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572707/how-to-avoid-10/

As well as that make a few system images just in case, they might not work after an 8.1 to 10 "upgrade" but they probably would work if you realised you had just received an update which was going to begin forcibly upgrading you within a short period of time, hence letting you get back to a time before a dodgy update if something goes really badly.

Otherwise: set your updates to "check automatically but ask me before downloading and installing", check every tuesday evening and wednesday morning to see what has been released and is now being offered to you, accept the security updates from windows (though probably wise to check the description of each first, just to make sure that they are what they claim to be) as quickly as you can, give non-security updates a few days to see if people report them doing anything nasty.

Edited by rp88, 25 April 2015 - 09:23 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

Windows 8 is the only version of Windows that has required an upgrade such as 8.1.  Without it you will not be able to receive security updates.  I'm convinced that Microsoft implemented this in order to try to resolve problems for an operating system which was not really ready to be released to the public.

I agree with rp88, selectively allowing updates will give you time to find out if any particular update is problematic.  Microsoft has had more problematic updates in Windows 8/8.1 than any operating system they have produced.

Other than the normal life cycle of an operating system, Windows 8 is the only operating system Microsoft has developed which requires a upgrade.  Microsoft is making Windows 10 available for a free one year use.  I'm firmly convinced that this is an effort on Microsoft's part to resurrect their reputation after bombing with their last operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

I hang out in the Windows 10 forum, and my understanding is that you have to sign a license agreement in order to upgrade to Windows 10. If you do not sign the agreement, you will not be getting Windows 10 on your system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

You pretty much have to sign a Licence Agreement for every Windows products there is. Also, that Licence Agreement will most likely change between the Windows 10 Technical Preview and the official Windows 10 release, since for starters, I doubt it'll include a "keylogger", and right now they make you aware of it in the Licence Agreement.

unite_blue.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Exactly my point. They are not going to be sneaking Windows 10 onto anybody's computers without that person signing a license agreement.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

Just to clarify for you, windows 8.0 still gets security updates until jan 2016, after that you either need to "upgrade" it to 8.1, switch to another OS entirely or take the very risky step of runnng an OS which doesn't get security updates. You don't need to upgrade yet, and if you think you might have problems best to leave upgrading until closer to the end of support date for 8.0, but you will need to decide what to do by January 2016. one thing to warn about signing license agreements, you might not get windows 10 until you do, but it is POSSIBLE (I don't know whether it's likely or not) that ms mgiht send out a very nasty kb update which makes a computer lock down and every time you turn it on it gives a "agree to this windows 10 agreement now, or your pc is useless until you agree at a later date".

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

I really doubt they would do that rp. Do you realize how the public would react if it was the case? Microsoft isn't dumb enough to shoot themself in the foot right that. Plus there would be no point in doing so. I can understand the pop-up if you're running Windows XP or you don't have a genuine activation and Microsoft asks you about the product key every 10 minutes, but if you're running a perfectly legal installation, why would they do it? Also, it never happened before, what makes you think that it'll happen now?

unite_blue.png

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

Aura, I didn't say it was likely they would, I said it was possible. The prompt I was imagining wouldn't be asking users to input keys, or pay money, just asking them to accept whatever the new license said so that ms could then upgrade them to 10. ms would do this if they were desperate enough to get everyone onto Windows 10, if they tried to do so there would indeed be outrage, though only among those who didn't want to upgrade, if the number of people not wanting to upgrade is too low then ms MIGHT try it thinking they could afford outrage among a number of people if the number was small.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users