Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rural internet constantly disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Catyleigh

Catyleigh

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hello! I have a pretty major problem that may or may not be able to be helped. I live in the country and have wireless internet via radio towers in the area (radio receiver mounted on the roof). I've had it for two and a half months now and the first month and a bit worked great- no disconnects, download speeds were right at what they said (3-5mb/s). Then I moved my computer and that's when the problems started happening. Sometimes I am able to use the internet for a better part of a day without being disconnected, and sometimes it's completely unusable and I am being d/ced every minute or so. I did trace part of the problem to an unshielded HDMI cable that when close to the cat6 cable coming in the house from the receiver, would disconnect me, and that was connecting my third monitor that I had just set up so I removed that and thought I had taken care of the problem... nope. I've called the company countless times, they have replaced all the equipment except the cable itself between the receiver and the little black box thing it connects to indoors. The company says no one else in the area is having an issue and that it's local interference.

Is there any way I can trace what the problem may be? I've literally tried unplugging everything that could be causing interference, I moved my computer back in case it was that interfering with it, and nothing seems to solve it. I'm getting so incredibly frustrated and the company will not release me from the contract so basically if I want to have working internet I have to buy them out, and then join a new company (and the only option is the same type of internet so now I am totally wary). 

All I want to do is play World of Warcraft! LOL. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated, because I'm going crazy here.

Thanks!

Caty Leigh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

Just making sure what you have: You have a wireless antennae outside that picks up the wireless signal, that goes to a "black box". But from there how do you connect? wired? wireless? What is the black box, router or switch? What is the cable that comes from the antennae? coax? cat6? Is it protected, conduit or designed to be out in the weather?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Oops, it's a cat5e. I'm not sure if it's protected or designed to be out in the weather but I assume so, if the company put it up. Yep, a wireless receiver that goes to a black box inside via the cat5e cable. THe box itself is like.. 1 inch by 1 inch and the cat5 cable goes in on one end, and another network cable pops out the other end to plug into the router/computer. Also has a power supply on it. No lights or anything else... not sure what it does really. The same problem happens if I use a router or not, I have tried plugging it directly into the computer.

Sorry... not super computer savvy!

From yesterday, it worked great with no dcs for about 24 hours, then starting last night around 9pm, it's been nothing but disconnects since, maybe every 5 minutes or so. The company has replaced the receiver on the roof and the black box thingy to no avail.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

The company has replaced the receiver on the roof and the black box thingy to no avail.

Likely it is not these components.

The black box 1inch by 1inch may be a POE injector which powers the dish. In most wireless roof mount radios I have seen recently, the modem is actually built into the dish, the little black box supplies power through a ethernet cable to the dish, the black box gets power from the outlet, and turns it into 48v output to the dish. From there you connect the other end to the computer or router.

I am still a bit confused: how do you connect the computer to the internet? Directly to the black box or to a router through a wire or wirelessly? Is this your own personally supplied router, or was the router supplied by the ISP (company supplying your internet)?

You may be able to connect the computer directly to the little black box instead of connecting to a router to bypass that component and see if you still have issues disconnecting.

Any component in line can cause this issue and these are the components I believe you have, in this order: Wireless dish > POE Injector (little black box) > Router (may be wireless) > Computer.

Edited by zingo156, 24 April 2015 - 02:35 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

If you have connected to the black box and you still have the issue, how you connect to your router isn't the issue. I have a weird request but can you take a picture of the cable that runs from the antennae to the black box? also there is normally something printed on the cable other than Cat5 or whatever. Can you maybe look and let us know what it reads?

how is the cable routed from the antennae to the black box? 

I ask these because if the only thing between you and the antennae is the black box and the cable running from the antennae to the black box, then that has to be where the issue is. If they've come out and made sure the antennae is fine and have replaced the black box, then it has to be the something with the wire connecting them. Don't ya think?

Once it starts are the dc's all the time? do they start at a certain time? are there less at certain times? what's the weather been like around you?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

I've thought it could be the cable, but can that cause constant disconnects like this? I did try to "recap" the end of the cable since there was like two inches of unjacketed, untwisted wires but it didn't help at all. I'll grab a pic!

The internet company says it's interference with the receiver, but I am not sure how feasible this is as we don't live super close to anyone (I'm on a half acre property), no businesses here or anything either. The dcs are generally constant but I'll get the odd period when they are SUPER frequent, and the odd time where I don't get dced at all. Weather has been nice and sunny (I live in the prairies). 

#7 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

For the cable that goes out to the antenna, is it a shielded cable similar to this?: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.computercablestore.com/images/products/Quabbin%252520Wire%252520and%252520Cable%252520Co%252520Inc/2934.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.computercablestore.com/Cat6_Shielded_Stranded_PV_catID4456.aspx&h=300&w=400&tbnid=q8mJHyJp-zf6iM:&zoom=1&docid=h19fGMWaD9sTBM&ei=KqY6VfXLJNHaoATKr4G4Bg&tbm=isch&ved=0CCQQMygHMAc

Are they using a shielded/grounded connector similar to this to the dish and to the next inside device?: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CFjMuoNwL.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-EZ-RJ45-Shielded-Connectors-Platinum/dp/B00BUG9BQM&h=225&w=225&tbnid=iLZ4H-9EddhrNM:&zoom=1&docid=Lb2Co2JljQZBfM&ei=wqY6VbD-BIurogT8kYG4CQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CCYQMygHMAc

I have seen issues when not using sheilded cables/connectors to the dish due to static buildup/discharge at the dish end from wind.

Edited by zingo156, 24 April 2015 - 03:28 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

The cable that you see (the tan one) goes straight from inside to outside and up on my roof. There's just a hole in the side of my house for it to go through. It's not shielded like that cable, when I recapped the end of it there wasn't that foiley stuff on there at all. 

Just seems weird that it would work perfectly for a month then this.. all in one go :( can interference be permanent? As I said the cheap crappy HDMI cable I was using on my third monitor would disconnect me if it touched the cable or the black box thingy. It was set up the same day I moved my computer and this all started happening. Ugh!

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

I guess I would replace a few inside cat5 cables (try others) first before running the shielded cable to the dish. That and try connecting the computer directly to the little black box instead of the router (looks like you have the router plugged in (second picture).

Certainly running an unshielded cable to the roof antenna could be a problem. In a few of the instances I had seen where they installed a roof mount dish for internet using unshielded cabling, the modem itself in the radio on the roof had been damaged. In all of those cases where the modem was damaged, the customer lived in windy areas on top of hills for example that had no trees in the way. After I had reported these cases to the ISP's in this area, it has become standard to use shielded cables/connectors to roof mount antennas, and I have yet to see any issues with the shielded cable installations.

Since you mention they have already replaced those components, I would personally give the shielded cat5e or cat6 cables and connectors a try if nothing else works. You only need one sheilded cable with 2 grounded ends that goes from the dish to the little black box.

Edited by zingo156, 24 April 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#11 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

Are these cables something you can buy in store anywhere? Or is it something I would have to order online? :)

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

Here is a good read, I know it is for cameras but those dishes are actually worse because of the surface area and wind, they pick up static which discharges and can cause issues on it's own: https://radiusvision.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201049688-Avoiding-the-most-common-problems-with-your-new-outdoor-installation

Edited by zingo156, 24 April 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#13 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Do you think it could be what the company says and just interference from the radio receiver? If that's the case, it'll never be solved :(

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Are these cables something you can buy in store anywhere? Or is it something I would have to order online? :)

You might have to order it online. I have not looked at any big chain store.

#15 Catyleigh

Catyleigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

Thank you! I will read through that link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users