Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet + Cable modem + Gigabit Switch = unidentified network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leonix

leonix

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Computer (Ethernet) connects to Gigabit Switch (TP-LINK TL-SG108) connect to Cable Modem Zoom 5341J = unidentified network

If I do:

Computer (Ethernet) connects to Cable Modem Zoom 5341J = it works.

Any idea what happens when I connect to the Gigabit Switch? How do I fix it?

Zoom 5341J
TP-LINK TL-SG108 Light ON when plug in ethernet cable.

Here's a list of things I have tried:

Powering off the Cable Modem Zoom.
Powering off the Gigabit Switch.
Restart computer (Windows 7).

Edited by leonix, 24 April 2015 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

Need a little more information - Either post a screen cap of a ipconfig /all command OR run MiniToolBox and post the results. Now I don't see a router in there so you should be getting the WAN address, you might want to block some portion of that. But no need to do the whole thing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

Most likely your ISP has registered the mac address of your workstation.  When you add the switch its is seeing a different mac address and not passing out a ip address.  You need a router for one and for two you will need to clone your workstations mac address to the routers wan interface to get internet.  At least then you can get multiple devices on the internet which you would not be able to do with just a switch.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

There is no mac address for a unmanaged layer 2 switch like that. It's all transparent bridge. Agreed, a router needs to be between the switch and the modem for NAT (Network Address Translation).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users