Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

i am looking for a linux live cd

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

good afternoon to all,

please, let me first tell you that i am not familiar with linux

i am looking for a linux live cd for a pc i have that does not have a hard disk

i want just to surf the net till i buy a new hard disk

my pc specificatations

fujitsu siemens esprimo p5720 desktop

cpu intel e7200 socket lga 775

integrated graphics

intel ethernet 

intel audio ac97 (not sure)

ram 1 gb ddr2 

dvdrw

i do not know the exact motherboard model

i do not know if my hardware is supported by linux

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Knoppix Linux is probably the easiest version to find your way around in. Download it free Here. Burn to a CD and you are on your way. St. Edwards University server is probably the best (3rd from the bottom of the list). Click on the http link.

Choose a 701 MB download, and make sure it is English (EN).

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 April 2015 - 11:18 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

Firstly i wonder how you will be burning a live linux DVD / CD with no hardrive ???

If indeed you Fancy Knoppix  it is a big download onto a DVD and contains almost everything you would ever want and a lot more.. but as you have no hard drive you wont be able to do anything that you need to store locally .just in the cloud.

If you are in Cyprus as  stated ..there are closer mirrors (servers) inTurkey, Isreal, Spain, or as your close to Europe most of the German or Dutch servers are fast and stable.

If you fancy a much smaller live distro which will be just for to surf the net..almost any  ..though if your planning on using You tube or anything requiring Flash that could restrict your options...as many distros don't include Flash....so you may need a distro with Chrome browser...

as for good distros  mainly for online activities " Peppermint OS " is designed for that and uses  mainly online apps.

"Puppy linux" is a big favourite of many on this forum and they could soon tell you about whether it has flash and other codecs..

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

Puppy is certainly much smaller and faster than Knoppix. It doesn't come with flash installed, but it's easy enough to create a multi-session CD so that you can install flash and other software, then save your installations to CD.

It comes with something called "Quickpet" from which you can install flash and other software, by simply clicking on whatever you want to install.

Please see link in my signature for details.

#5 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

good morning to all,

i thank all very much for the replies

i have my little celeron pc that i am working for almost three years now and i have another pc, the esprimo that does not have a hard disk

better saying the esprimo had a hard disk but the disk now is dead and that's why i need a live linux cd just to surf the net till i buy a new hard disk

the knoppix version that friend ranchhand_ recommended me is big but i can download it

yes, i am from cyprus and i live in cyprus and i will check the servers dear friend shadow-warrior for downloading

i have heard something about puppy linux dear friend Al1000 and yes i will check your link

i do not know anything about linux and the only reason i  stay with windows xp pro x86 is because of my programs

audition 2 audio editor

gimp 2

sony vegas

it is not easy to change os but why not to keep my esprimo pc for internet

i do not think if i can find any pro grade audio/video programs for linux

thanks very much again for the replies

Edited by nickko, 25 April 2015 - 03:08 AM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:17 AM

i am looking for a linux live cd for a pc i have that does not have a hard disk

i do not know if my hardware is supported by linux

thanks in advance

You could use many linux operating systems but, as stated above, with that much RAM, you should choose a light weight one as was suggested, puppy and or Pepermint would both be good but there are many.  Clearly you will have to buy or make one on another computer, there are many tutorials on the net-just do a search or we can provide one when you decide what you want to do.

As Al000 said you can easily SAVE to the puppy CD, and it is very lightweight.  Or, and even better! imo, you could do a full install to a USB.  Then you could save many things to the usb, the same as having a hard-drive.  Here is one tutorial but there are many, it's not perfect so if you have any questions just post them.  

http://askubuntu.com/questions/89241/how-can-i-run-ubuntu-without-a-hard-drive

Yes your system supports Linux.  Sometimes there are issues like any other OS you try to run from a pc that it was not designed for, usually these things can be easily fixed.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:26 AM

Hi nickko, and :welcome: to the Linux side of the Forum, hope you enjoy your visit and stay on.

@shadow-warrior

Firstly i wonder how you will be burning a live linux DVD / CD with no hardrive ???

I am guessing nickko will be using another computer to download and burn the .iso to live CD/DVD, then using it on the Fujitsu, is that so, nickko?

You could do a whole lot worse than try Peach OSI's BB (Bare Bones) 32-bit edition, size 1GB to download.

I am running it on my wife's laptop, a Compaq Presario C300 with only 500MB RAM and a 60GB HDD. Purchased around 2005/2006.

It ships with Firefox browser, and on my wife's laptop I can open 5 - 6 tabs at a time with no discernible degradation in performance.

I just installed Thunderbird email client on it yesterday, also works fine. If you wish to research it, just type in "peachosi" at Google or your search engine of choice, there are YouTube videos as well.

Or else go to www.peachosi.com or fast-track to here to download.

If you go to the Download page, you are best to scroll down some way until you find as shown in screenshot below.

YfWYbrS.png

Do not use Torrent if you value your security.

Peach is based on Ubuntu v14.04 aka "Trusty Tahr", and will provide you with access to their software repositories.

There are now several Peach users here, and we may be able to assist if you choose that course.

Having said that, the options provided by Al1000 and pcpunk, above, are pertinent alternatives.

Good luck

:wizardball: Wizard

Edited by wizardfromoz, 25 April 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

nickko, almost forgot!

make alternativeto.net your friend.

audition 2 audio editor

gimp 2

sony vegas

If you go there and type in the above, in "Look for an alternative to..."

you may find what you are looking for, that is similar. Choose the ones saying Linux.

GIMP is built for Linux, and ships with many distributions, or can be downloaded and used on them. It simply happens to have a Windows version.

:wizardball: Wiz

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

Knoppix sounds pretty cool!  Here is a site with a review but there are many: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/77803.html

Here is a quote from there:

"Knoppix's boot quirkiness was a bit of a disappointment for me. By comparison, Puppy Linux boots any computer from a DVD or USB drive without fiddling. Puppy Linux also automatically runs in RAM without resorting to quirky cheat sheet commands."

Linux comes with gimp as far as I can see, here is a link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1017

It also comes with many distro's but maybe not "gimp2" you would have to install the "2" version.

You can simply do a search for the rest of what you need.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

hi to all,

many thanks for the warm welcome to the linux forum and also many thanks for the replies

correct dear wizardfromoz, i have to burn the linux live cd on my celeron pc

i have downloaded the puppy slacko 5.3.1 just to give a try since the file size was small

it took about 15 minutes with my internet line to download the iso file, less than three minutes to burn the cd and less than five minutes to boot and configure some basic settings including network settings

i could surf the net and i must confess that i am really very pleased with this new os !!!

i am sure that the linux versions the other friends in this forum mentioned  would be much better than puppy especially the x64 versions

great news for me that gimp have linux version but i do not think that i will find any pro grade audio and video editor like the software i use

possibly you can find a good audio and video editor for linux but i am afraid to say that not at the pro level of sony or adobe

also i am concern about those linux commands for installation and partition

many many thanks to all for the great help on my linux question

#11 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

In linux there are some very good Audio type software

Audacity              http://web.audacityteam.org/

Ardour                 https://ardour.org/

Qtractor              http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html

LMMS                 https://lmms.io/

Rosegarden       http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

Most i I expect are in your software Repositories... though you may need some help installing them, and you also may need to Install a different Audio system for your OS as most use 1 Called "Jack" and most linux systems use "Alsa" as standard

For Video Editing 

Openshot        http://www.openshot.org/

Lightworks      http://www.lwks.com/

Avidmux          http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Kdenlive          https://kdenlive.org/

Blender           http://www.blender.org/  .... supposededly  widely used in proffesional areas.

Again most are available in your Repos.  somewhere.

If  your interested you should ask the other learned users of this forum who are much more experienced than me on using Puppy Linux  ....on the how to details regarding getting and Installing..

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

i could surf the net and i must confess that i am really very pleased with this new os !!!

Pleased to hear it!

also i am concern about those linux commands for installation and partition

Most Linux software repositories contain several thousand applications to choose from, but Puppy is more limited in this respect. Although like the "full" Linux distros, Puppy also comes with a Package Manager that you'll find either in the menu, or by clicking on the "Install" icon on the desktop.

You'll have to click "configure" in Package Manager, then "update" in the next window that opens, then press enter several times to update it before you can use it. But once it's updated, you can search it for software. Installing software to Linux from Package Manager is simply a matter of clicking on whatever you want. It will then be automatically downloaded and installed. :)

puppypkman_zps2i8evha6.png

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hi Nickko, You know that you can install Puppy Linux to USB stick ( Like you do to hard drive )?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#14 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:54 AM

good morning to all and hundred thanks for the very detailed replies to my post

i fully appreciate this

yes, i know that puppy linux is the easiest version or at leat the small version in the whole linux family

i wanted just to try it so that's why i have downloaded puppy slacko

certainly yes dear friend shadow-warrior i will check your links

dear friend Al1000 i thank you so much for the very detailed reply 

great news for me dear friend NickAu

i can think to have a linux live cd and to have my usb for any downloads.... good !

today i will try to search to find some linux pdf documents or free ebooks and also to watch some youtube tutorials

nice sunday to all

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:03 AM

nickko, hi.

You could do a whole lot worse than taking a look at one of our own Topics, started by cat1092.

You can find it here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542702/have-links-to-good-free-linux-libreoffice-e-books-share-them-here/   It is pinned near the start of Linux & Unix front page.

There is plenty there that may help you, but the youtube tutorials are also a good start.

Have fun

:wizardball: Wiz

Edited by wizardfromoz, 26 April 2015 - 02:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users