Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HiJack This error 5?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Running Xp pro Sp3:

Started to get error #5 Invalid procedure call or argument.  I did do a restore and it did cure the problem but the error recurred.

I was wondering if this is anything to worry about, it does seem to scan OK.

Thanks,  Dave

Edited by computerxpds, 24 April 2015 - 10:44 AM.
Moved to AV/AM from All Other Apps forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

If Hijack This loaded and scanned normally you have no problems. I am not familiar with that error, but I don't think you are risking any damage to your system. I might suggest disconnecting from the internet and temporarily disabling your antivirus, just in case there is some conflict (usually there isn't).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

Thank you ranchhand_

It's HJT run time fault, certainly not a not a Windows, only get it after a scan with HJT. I did try safe-mode and disabling NOD32 to no avail. Looking for an alternative might be a better way to go seeing HJT is  now outdated, maybe OTL I dunno. The full error is-:

An unexpected error at procedure: modMain_StartScan()

Error #5 - Invalid procedure call or arguement

Regards, Dave

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

HijackThis only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, HijackThis is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made its usefulness nearly obsolete since a HijackThis log cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, FRST, OTL, Zoek and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

Unless you know how to read and analyze logs from DDS, FRST, OTL, Zoek or RSIT there's no point in downloading and using them. If those tools are needed for a malware infection you should seek assistance from an expert who will advise you accordingly. Like HijackThis, these are powerful tools which rely on trained experts to interpret the log entries, determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection. Using such tools requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System and can cause system damage if used incorrectly. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of these tools, you should NOT attempt to use them or fix anything without consulting a expert as to what to fix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

Yes I am aware what 'mishandling' the registry can do, I do keep clones and back up of my drives.... it's not that I visit dodgy sites either, I learned this from the last virus I had..... with Norton 7, yes I have had my hands slapped a time or two thanks to NOD. From time to time I take the drive out couple it up as a slave and do a scan on another computer with a different AV.

I know and did mention that HJT is outdated, I asked thinking there might be a 'quick cure', maybe the program was somehow corrupted.... a clean install, that means cleaning all it's registry and left over files out made no difference, so I put it down to some run time script rightly or wrongly.

I do agree with your Malware comments.... funny how Avira 'gurus' still used HJT way after it became dated. I was looking at OTL myself, I think I prefer it over DDS. I'll have a scout on the other remaining three, they're new to my ears, the reason  is I like to keep an eye on what's running and isn't.  Thanks, I'll take a look.

Dave

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Since a lot of our members are novice users and they read topics like this but do no make comments, I sometimes prefer to provide more info than not enough so everyone understands.

FRST is by far our tool of choice these days since it runs fine with Windows 8/8.1.

FRST Public Tutorial - How to use Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

There was a time when HT was the de facto utility in malware removal and was feared by every virus hacker out there. While it definitely is outmoded as far as a main diagnostic utility, do not sell it short for investigation purposes. By far the majority of computers that come across my bench are loaded with adware, spyware, foistware, etc. and HT is great at registering their active processes that are running. You would be surprised. I have discovered active processes still running after using Adwcleaner and JRT. I see regularly as many as 12 running processes for MIE that HT registers, as well as many other resource-suckers.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

Yes but as I said it's usefulness is limited only to the known hiding places for which it was created. The replacement tools I noted provide check many more areas and provide much more information. Therefore, if you use HijackThis and do not see anything wrong, that would not be a reliable indication malware was not present.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

While it definitely is outmoded as far as a main diagnostic utility

:cowboy:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

I understand what you meant but with the availability of other tools, there is no need for advanced users to use it at all for diagnostic or any other purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users