Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 / Not recognizing new usb units

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 msvensgaard

msvensgaard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

I am having problems with the USB on my Lenovo y50-70 running Windows 8.1

The basic problem is that when I connect new usb units to any of the 3 usb ports - they produce a yellow triangle in the device manager and all my attempts to manual find drivers have failed. Oddly, the mouse works in all 3 ports and my camera does too unless if it is set to connect as mass storage, but my printer, external hds, sata to usb adapter etc is not being picked up.

I tried googling the problem and was advised to run SFC /scannow and it did without problems, no change. So i was advised to upgrade the bios and Lenovos drivers - i did, and they all updated fine but oddly the built in keyboard stopped working under windows so i had to restore to a previous point (bios is still the latest though, 2..01). So, then i tried removing the usb drivers, rebooting - nothing. Tried updating intels chipset drivers, nothing. Tried running the DISM commands microsoft suggests but got the seemingly common "not able to download" update error and couldnt find a solution to this. Tried running a small suggested tool UVCview that shows the status of the usb ports, and it does show errors but again I couldnt find a solution to sort them out.

So, whilst scratching my head at what to do about this, a seemingly unrelated error started recurring making the disc usage shoot to 100% at all times. Now, disabling a couple of services and running scan disc sorted that, but even after the services are turned back on Windows Update now fails on updating a variety of updates - and the fix it tools and other advice seem not to affect it (it downloads, installs, reboots, then goes "couldnt complete" etc"). Not sure if its related at all - but some of the updates it cant install do seem to have to do with the usb. Sigh.

So, now im mildly frustrated lol - if anyone has a potential way that might help sort these (or some of these) problems out, I would be extremely grateful :)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

Off the top of my head I would suspect the BIOS either is corrupted or needs to be flashed.

>If the computer is still under warranty from the retail store and came with Windows 8.1, I would return it, especially if this has been happening from the first time you brought it home. These stores usually give you a certain amount of time and will take a return. If that has expired and you must go to the manufacturer, I would avoid that if possible. The majority of these makers have little or no serious support and make it really unpleasant to try to submit a warranty claim.

>Try resetting your BIOS back to factory default and see if that clears it up. Here is a generic "howto" link.

>Try a system restore. Note, this is not an operating system restore which will delete all your programs and data, just a system file restore which returns the critical system files back to a date before you started having these problems. Again, if you have always had this problem from the first time you booted up, then a system restore probably will not help, but you can try it.

> As a last-ditch attempt, you can use the restore feature to completely re-install your operating system. Save your data and programs first, because this will return the operating system to factory install.

>You have flashed the BIOS already, so that evidently is not the problem.

If none of the above work, you have a mechanical problem, not a software problem and the computer is faulty. Why it will work with some peripherals and not others is anybody's guess, but it definitely should not be doing this. If you have USB3 those ports should be backwards-compatible to USB2 peripherals so that should not be the problem.

Wish I could be of more help, but USB is deeply integrated, not only into the operating system but also the hardware. If your lap has UEFI that complicates it further. There are only so many things that can be attempted and if they fail the only answer left is faulty hardware.

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 April 2015 - 12:22 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 msvensgaard

msvensgaard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze and advice Ranchhand! :) The news could be better though of course as the time is past for handing it back - so I might have to resort to a fresh install of windows ... maybe ill see if I can find the old win7 disc and try that instead - some of the advice ive seen seems to suggest it could be something win8 specific.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

I really don't think it has anything to do with Windows 8.1, unless the operating system got corrupted, in which case a simple restore should do the work. There are millions of W8 computers that don't have this problem. However....try the total restore first, and if that doesn't work you can try Windows 7. Remember that if you do that, first go to Lenovo's website and (hopefully!) they will have your mainboard, video, sound and chipset drivers; don't do this until you have all those drivers. They will not be on any OS disk you purchase and you will need them specific for Windows 7. Your lap will not run properly without them.

In fact, that give me another suggestion; find those drivers and install them on your present system. They should be free for download and if you are going to nuke your W8.1 system anyway it's worth a shot.

Either way, I suggest trying to do an OS reinstallation first from your recovery partition (hopefully they gave you one, how to use it will be in your manual that came with the computer). You never know, it might solve the problem. You can always go with W7 if nothing else works.

Wish you the best - I know what a headache this kind of stuff can be.

[EDIT]: I meant find the latest drivers on Lenovo's website for Windows 8.1 and install them on your W8 OS (not Windows 7).

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 April 2015 - 07:22 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users