Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Hybrid HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:38 AM

I'm wanting to buy a Hybrid Drive for my laptop and searching on google gets me conflicting results over price and quality

I'd apreciate any advice from this forum

I am in the UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi there Juliasdream,

First of all let me clear things a bit - how do you intend to use the drive, do you use your laptop as a workstation, for gaming or just everyday use (music, movies, internet)? And would also be a good idea if you name the brand and model. Other than that I would like to shed some light on the differance between a hybrid and a dual drive.  

A hybrid (or SSHD) is a logical or physical storage device that combines SSD with hard disk drive (HDD) technology, with the intent of adding some of the speed of SSDs to the cost-effective storage capacity of traditional HDDs. The purpose of the SSD in a hybrid drive is to act as a cache for the data stored on the HDD, improving the overall performance by keeping copies of the most frequently used data on the SSD. The downside is that you never really have "access" to the SSD, it's only used to increse speed and cannot be used as storage. There are several options on the makret. 
A dual drive is not an SSHD is because the two drives on the inside are not meant to be merged. They remain two separate volumes, just as you would use two physical drives in a system. This gives you a lot more options to play with and will be up to you to decide how to use your drives. 

Feel free to ask more questions, hope this was helpful and will be glad to help if needed. Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 24 April 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#3 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for your reply

I think a dual drive will be too expensive for me

I have a laptop that takes 2 hard drives. It's a Medion akoya E7214 model MD98360 running 32bit Win 7. Its for general use. music, movies etc, Not gaming

I thought of getting an SSD as the boot drive and keep my second one for data but of course the larger the SSD the more expensive

What appeals to me with the Hybrid is that I can have 1TB storage with the advantage of an SSD in regards to speed of booting etc

It's a decent laptop with rubbish battery life so I intend to use it as a work station instead of buying a new PC

In my search for hybrids I'm having difficulty deciding

WD offers 5 years warranty

Toshiba offers 1 to 3 years depending on where I purchase it

Seagate offer 2 years

All being manufacturing warranties

I'm tempted to go for the WD because of its 5 year warranty but I'm not sure if it's the best

Other questions

If I clone the existing HD over to the hybrid is there an easy way to seperate the OS to a smaller partition

Do I risk falling foul of Microsofts licensing? I already had problems with a PC after upgrading and Microsoft forever not recognizing my version of Win 7 as genuine even though I know it is

Thanks

#4 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

After much thought I'm partly decided on either a 240gb SSD or a 1gb hybrid. Both come at roughly the same price

I can either use the SSD for my OS and the second HD for data or have the same advantage of quick boot and response with the hybrid with that extra storage

Well thats my idea anyway. I just need to choose

Could someone with more knowledge of SSD's and hybrids point out the for s and against s for each to help me make a final desicion

Thanks

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi Julia,

I believe that the Western Digital representative above has pointed out the pros and cons of using a SSHD.

SSHDs improve only boot time, while SSDs improve access time in general (basically means doing everything is faster) - but with a higher cost in storage (with the same money you get less storage from a SSD than a SSHD).

#6 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:48 AM

hi Julia's Dream,
Sorry for the late response, here I give you a link to a detailed video on drive cloning and data migration. It's much better explained and visualised, certainly clearer than I could with just text.   

On the topic of license problems - If you're using Windows 7 you shouldn't have any problems, if using Win 8 or 8.1 you could experience some issues but in the worst case scenario you can contact Microsoft and they should issue you a new license.

"If I clone the existing HD over to the hybrid is there an easy way to seperate the OS to a smaller partition" - I wouldn't say that there is an easy way, but you can separate the drive in two partitions, like you would do with an HDD and clone on the first one. Assuming the source hard disk had days and weeks of use on it, it would be better to do a clean install. Whatever you do, remember to make backup of your important, or all files if you can, before cloning your drive. 

I hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 29 April 2015 - 07:20 AM.

#7 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:48 AM

Edited by Citizen_WD, 29 April 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#8 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

Thank you Citizen_wd for your helpful information

I finally decided to go with buying a WD SSD 240Gb and use one of my existing drives as a second one for data. The other drive I will put in a caddy for music and movies which I can also plug into my TV's USB

I think I trust SSD better than I do a mechanical drive. When the price comes down I'll probably buy a 1 or 2 Tb SSD for backup

Thanks again for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users