Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clearing 'administrator privileges'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

I have asked about this before but did not get an answer.  Every so often when I try to open some apps and in particular the Store itself, I get this message running the full width of the screen:

"Store can't open while File Explorer is rumming with administrator privileges. Restart File Explorer normally and try again.   Close"

How do I do that?  I know how to open things as Administrator, but I have not found out how to remove the status of Administrator already granted!  I am now going to try shutting the PC and restating, hoping that will clear Administrator status / remove administrator privileges.  If it does it will of course only be a temporary stop-gap until I have learned how to do it properly.  If it does not then I am somewhat stuck!

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

Hi clayto :)

From what I found, this is something new in Windows 8/8.1 due to the "AppContainer" mode/method. Here if you want to read more about it:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/app-cant-open-explorer-running-administrator
http://superuser.com/questions/521293/why-does-the-error-app-name-cant-open-while-file-explorer-is-running-with-ad

This is what's happening here:

Now Windows Explorer normally runs in medium integrity mode, and explorer.exe is the parent process from which all other user-initiated processes inherit their access token. If Explorer is running with admin privileges i.e. at high integrity level, then any Metro apps it launches will inherit that administrative access token, which is obviously a strict no-no as it will violate the sandboxed environment provided by the AppContainer integrity level. Hence the error message thrown.

Windows Explorer isn't launched with Admin Rights as far as I know too. It could have something to do with the "Priority" in the Task Manager, but this doesn't affect the access level.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

Hello Aura

The linked pages seem to be just what I need  ----  I will try out some of the suggestions.  Thanks.  I am surprised more people have not asked for help with this issue.

clayto

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

No problem clayto :) Also, I guess it's because not that much people uses the Windows Store. Personally, I don't. There's nothing of interest for me in there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users