Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Determine The Version Number Of "McAfee Framework"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Michael4313

Michael4313

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

Hello,

Question 1: How do I determine the version number of McAfee Framework on Windows 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.

When I run services.msc on Windows (via the Search box and the Start task bar), I see FrameworkService.exe. The description shown is "Shared component framework for McAfee products."

This service, I believe, is McAfee Framework. I'm looking how to determine the version number of this.

For work, I have to determine the version number of McAfee Framework on several computers because they may be updated to a newer version of McAfee Framework.

Question 2: How do I install the most recent version of McAfee Framework?

Thank you,

Michael

Edited by computerxpds, 24 April 2015 - 08:38 AM.
Moved to Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware forum from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

Hi Michael :)

The article below might be of use to you:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB58876

Personally, I would right-click on the FrameworkService.exe file and select Properties. From there, I would go in the Details tab and check the version number of the file. If it doesn't have the version number, we could make you list your installed programs with MiniToolBox and look for "McAfee Framework". Usually, the version number is listed with the program name.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Michael4313

Michael4313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

Hi Michael :)

The article below might be of use to you:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB58876

Personally, I would right-click on the FrameworkService.exe file and select Properties. From there, I would go in the Details tab and check the version number of the file. If it doesn't have the version number, we could make you list your installed programs with MiniToolBox and look for "McAfee Framework". Usually, the version number is listed with the program name.

Thank you for helping!

I do not have MiniToolBox.exe on my computer.

I addition, I do not have administrator privileges, so I can't download MiniToolBox.exe.

What do I do. Will I be forced to install the most recent version of McAfee software in order to get the most recent version of McAfee Framework?

Edited by Michael4313, 24 April 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

If this is a file, I doubt you don't have the Details tab. Did you right-click on the file and not the service? Also, without Admin Rights, I can't recommend you to look for McAfee Framework in the Uninstall keys of the Registry to find its version number too.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Michael4313

Michael4313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

If this is a file, I doubt you don't have the Details tab. Did you right-click on the file and not the service? Also, without Admin Rights, I can't recommend you to look for McAfee Framework in the Uninstall keys of the Registry to find its version number too.

Thanks for help, you've been a great help.

I've found the Details tab. The File version is 4.8.0.1500. And, the Product version is 4.8.0. Can you tell me anything about the details of these numbers.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

Nothing more than what it already shows. It means that for McAfee, this file is on version 4.8.0.1500 and is associated with the product of version 4.8.0 (which makes sense seeing the file version number). I think that if you want information about the different versions, it would be best to contact your McAfee Representant (since you seem to be using McAfee in an Entreprise environment, I'm sure you bought the licences and agreement throught a representant).

unite_blue.png

#7 Michael4313

Michael4313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Can you give me the "Uninstall keys" information. I'm writing all this up for others which may becom me! So, a link would be great.

Which of your two techniques is the better one to use. You already mentioned that the Details tab will always be there, so that might be enough for me.

Again thank you,

Edited by Michael4313, 24 April 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

The easiest would be to use MiniToolBox, as follow.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;
The other one would be to export in a text file all the programs listed under HKLM\...\Uninstall in two text files, one for the 32-bits programs and the other for the 64-bits ones.

EndqYRa.pngRegistry - Export Uninstall Keys
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the following commands, one after the other. You'll know when you're ready to input the next command when a new line with a blinking cursor will appear under the precedent one:
    Note: You can copy and paste these commands instead of typing them. To copy a command inside the command prompt, move your mouse over the blinking cursor, right-click and select Paste. You must have copied the command prior to that (via Ctrl + C or left-click and Copy).
    • reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall /s > %userprofile%\Desktop\hklm_uninstall32.txt
    • reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall /s > %userprofile%\Desktop\hklm_uninstall64.txt
  • Once you're done running the commands, two files will have appeared on your desktop:
    • hklm_uninstall32.txt
    • hklm_uninstall64.txt
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop and move both files inside it. Once done, archive (.zip) the folder (right-click on it, select Send to... and select Compressed archive (.zip));
  • Go on ge.tt, upload the archive (.zip) there and give me the download URL in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

#9 Michael4313

Michael4313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

The easiest would be to use MiniToolBox, as follow.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox

• Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;
The other one would be to export in a text file all the programs listed under HKLM\...\Uninstall in two text files, one for the 32-bits programs and the other for the 64-bits ones.

EndqYRa.pngRegistry - Export Uninstall Keys
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the following commands, one after the other. You'll know when you're ready to input the next command when a new line with a blinking cursor will appear under the precedent one:
    Note: You can copy and paste these commands instead of typing them. To copy a command inside the command prompt, move your mouse over the blinking cursor, right-click and select Paste. You must have copied the command prior to that (via Ctrl + C or left-click and Copy).
    • reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall /s > %userprofile%\Desktop\hklm_uninstall32.txt
    • reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall /s > %userprofile%\Desktop\hklm_uninstall64.txt
  • Once you're done running the commands, two files will have appeared on your desktop:
    • hklm_uninstall32.txt
    • hklm_uninstall64.txt
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop and move both files inside it. Once done, archive (.zip) the folder (right-click on it, select Send to... and select Compressed archive (.zip));
  • Go on ge.tt, upload the archive (.zip) there and give me the download URL in your next reply;

The two images that you attached aren't viewable on my computer.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

These are simple icons, they don't contain any kind of information, don't worry :P

unite_blue.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Michael4313, you don't need to quote each of Auras posts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

I've found the Details tab. The File version is 4.8.0.1500. And, the Product version is 4.8.0. Can you tell me anything about the details of these numbers.

According to available documentation, 4.8.0.1500 is the most current version of McAfee Agent so it appears the McAfee Framework version you have is current. I can find no reference on the McAfee site for a stand-alone update of McAfee Framework.

McAfee Agent 4.8.0 Release Notes
Version information for McAfee Agent 4.8.0
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

Do you have the McAfee ePO agent installed?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users