Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport makes PC unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raihaniqbal

raihaniqbal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:27 AM

Hi,

When I connect the USB disk my PC becomes really slow and unresponsive even a trivial operation such as taking a screenshot took me like 1 minute!

The device shows up as a Western Digital device but with a different drive and no drive label.

Attached File  24-4-2015 3-38-33 PM.png   10.5KB   1 downloads

In My Computer I can see the drive but I cannot open it. Even Disk Management freezes when the disk is connected but as soon as I unplug it everything goes back to normal!

Attached File  24-4-2015 4-15-53 PM.png   32.45KB   1 downloads

Even GParted freezes :(

Attached File  gparted.jpg   31.07KB   1 downloads

I am beginning to think I have lost all my data! Please help!

Edited by raihaniqbal, 24 April 2015 - 05:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

Download and burn the iso of PartedMagic here. At the Parted Magic Desktop attach the WD and open a terminal window.

Type   lsblk -o name,model    <enter>

Is your WD listed? What is the device named? It should be SdxX where x is a letter and X is a number.

If it is then in terminal type Testdisk. Follow this guide and do a Quick Search. Does it find your partition on the WD? If it does highlight the partition and press the "P" key. Are your files listed? Do not write the partition table if the files are listed. The guide is for the Windows version of Testdisk but you will be using the linux version as your Windows freezes when the drive is attached.

Edit: What is the size of the WD and how much free space is on the internal drive for recovery? Do you have another USB external with the same capacity as the WD?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#3 raihaniqbal

raihaniqbal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the help John. For some weird reason my HDD came back to life while I was running a diagnostic test using a WD tool.

Attached File  25-4-2015 5-21-53 AM.png   358.9KB   1 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

That is good to hear. I would backup any important data on the WD to another source. For your most important data you should always have it on two sources, preferably offsite. You could upload your important data to the cloud.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

I have a few WD "my passport" external HDDs so have some experience with them. Did this severe slowing happen to you from when you first started using the external HDD or did it only occur after a while of using the device? Also, do you use the bundled software on the extrnal HDD or did you delete that when the disc was brand new, maybe that software is causing the slowing. Another thing to note is that after plugging one of these drives into a windows computer you get an update for something called "WD SES device" listed in windows update, did you install any such update for it (the update is some sort of drivers for it I think)? In my use of WD external hard drives I've just plugged them in, deleted the exe files and instruction pdf files which they contain when new, not performed the update for them and just used these extrnal drives as if they were USB sticks, or for writing system images onto. I haven't experienced any slowing down when I've plugged mine in.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users