Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard factory reset Win7 Desktop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 placidus

placidus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:00 AM

Last Saturday my computer encountered a problem and i cant seem to fix it so Ill just have to hard reset my desktop if thats possible?

Is there like a button in the CPU or on the motherboard to press to reset it all?

Its not reinstalling windows because i do not have the discs.

And also if i reset it, will it delete my files on my Back-up drive (F:) ?

regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

Placidus:

Before resorting to a Factory Restore, could you describe your computer and the problem that you are having?  There is a tremendous amount of expertise here on this Forum, and they might be able to find a solution that preserves everything.

Most computers have a recovery partition and it is a matter of pressing an F# key to initiate a factory image recovery, but I would not do that until I had backed up all of my data to an external drive.  Some companies, like Acer, claim that they will put your data in a separate folder and preserve it, but that did not work on a friend's computer that did require a factory restore.  You do not need the Windows disks if you do a factory restore, at least in most cases that I am aware of.  I am not a pro here.

Is your backup drive an external USB drive?  If so, make sure it is unplugged ... just in case.  If not, copy your backups, after they have been verified by the backup program (assuming you are not using Windows backup), to ensure that they are good, and make sure that you have created a backup recovery CD to boot from just in case the factory recovery is not successful.  They can fail if the recovery partition is corrupt, or their are issues with the sector integrity on Drive C:\.

I really recommend that you post more information to assist the pros here (not me) to help you correctly diagnose what the real issue is.  If you have a dying hard drive, for example, doing a factory restore is a waste of time.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

Also please give make and full system specs that always helps with the helpers thoughts.

Those who have hate have no HEART!!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

The OP reported the post and requested that it be deleted because she solved the problem.

Instead of deleting, the topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users