Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernel Data Inpage Error BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashleyl725

ashleyl725

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

I get this BSOD from time to time... I would like to hopefully fix it before it starts happening more and more often.

I did a bit of googling and have already tried chkdisk /r /x ... I usually let this run at bedtime and when I wake up, my computer is booted as normal... there isn't any kind of error report (is this normal?).

I do plan on getting an external HD to backup ASAP because I know this can be a hardware issue. 

What else can I do? Can anyone offer step by step instructions, please?

Thanks in advance :)

-Ashley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

Hi. . .

"KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" is bugcheck (stop error) 0x7a and includes an exception error code in P2 (the 2nd number inside the parenthesis). This code is usually an I/O status code such as 0xc0000185 - "I/O error" or 0xc000000e - "no such device"

This bugcheck means that that the requested page of kernel data from the HDD paging file could not be read into memory and is often seen when there is a problem with the internal hard drive.

The results of chkdsk can be found in the Event Viewer, Application log.

If you have an HDD, run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

If you have an SSD, check the manufacturer's support site for a firmware upgrade.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:45 PM

In some cases, the antivirus can also cause that kind of problems. In either case, we would need the dump files. The dump files are located at the location - "C:\Windows\Minidump". Once you find the files, copy those files to some other directory before zipping them up else you might get a permissions being denied error. Once the ZIP file has been created, upload it to some 3rd party file hoster like OneDrive, MediaFire etc and post back the link so that the dump files could be analysed.

@JC - It is so good to see you. I hope you remember me :P

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#4 ashleyl725

ashleyl725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:04 AM

Running SeaTools was a fail, it did not detect my hard drive.

dump file here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h4x3uzhr3g7sccd/042215-38937-01.zip

#5 ashleyl725

ashleyl725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

Eeeek, so it appears all signs are point to hard drive failure. Getting an external tomorrow morning and doing backup. 

I thought it was awfully suspicious that I was missing a program the other day that I know was certainly installed. 

Anyway... I've never really gotten very hands-on with the guts of my computer. It's a sony vaio SVF152C29L. Will this hard drive work as a replacement?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-momentus-500gb-internal-serial-ata-hard-drive-for-laptops-multi/9172762.p?id=1218044029926&skuId=9172762

Thanks in advance!

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

Yes, that HDD should be fine.

You can use any 2.5" SATA internal HDD for your laptop.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users