Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Sharing Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bslevin

bslevin

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post... I am having a strange problem, I have windows 2013 server r2 running onb our server and I have about 40 PC's running windows 7 Pro. all of these systems were configured by me out of the box and set up identical (except for the user and computer name of course) .

When I am on one of the PC's (any random user) and I click on network and see all the computers on the network, if I click on one of the computers I will see the user folder and then the public folder inside of the user folder for that PC.

For some reason, I have an issue on one computer, when I click on this specific computer I not only see the public folder I see the users private folder, so I can see all their documents, pictures, etc..

I checked and cheeked and there is nothing different in any settings, share options, etc.... It is setup exactly the same as all the others, but for some reason everyone can see this person's private user folder.

Any ideas on what to check, I am at a loss or I am overlooking something..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bslevin

bslevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

No one has any ideas on what to check?

I went in today and checked every setting again and it is identical to every other machine but this is the only one that you can see the users personal user folders. every other system you can only see the public folder.

Edited by bslevin, 24 April 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

If this is a domain nework, the local Pc settings may not be what's causing the issue. Is the "user" folder a domain user or local Pc account?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 April 2015 - 06:39 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 bslevin

bslevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

It is a domain network, but the user folders and accounts are from the local machine, these were running for the last 6 months with no network until last week.

#5 bslevin

bslevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

I checked again as this user has 2 computers at their desk, they are identical computers and I went through the settings of everything from the user, network, sharing, server logins, etc.. and everything is identical, except for computer 1 you can see the personal user folder along with the public user folder and computer 2 you can only see the public user folder.

really at a loss here any help would be great..

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Edit: Are the computers Joined to the domain? 

Have you checked the NTFS permissions on the User folder?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 April 2015 - 05:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 bslevin

bslevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

Yes they are joined on the domain..

Yes the permissions are normal same as all the other computers

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

You can try using Accessenum To view the registy permission settings. I also found This Link that may help.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users