Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA hard drive connected with IDE Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Josef1994

Josef1994

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi all!

I have an old computer, one which I had not used for two years. The original IDE hard drive that the computer came with is dead and I found a SATA hard drive that I hardly made use of. I bought a bi-directional IDE to SATA converter to hook up the SATA hard drive with the IDE motherboard.

I plugged the adapter's IDE connector to the motherboard, the power cable into the adapter and the SATA cable from the drive to the adapter. Unfortunately, this does not work for me. When the BIOS loads, the primary master is none.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

You may need to set the jumpers on the drive to be primary master or cable select.  What drive model do you have and does it have jumpers on the back of it?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

I am not sure those adapters will work to boot a drive. They are fine for something like a data drive or CD/DVD drive. Does your Bidirectional adapter look like this. Have you tried both sata ports. One is outbound and the other is inbound.

I think in order to boot a SATA drive from an IDE port you would need a SATA controller card with it's own BIOS. Your Motherboard BIOS would need to detect the card as a bootable device.You would need to add SATA drivers to XP as XP does not have native SATA drivers. You would need to slipstream the SATA drivers into the XP install disk or if the computer has a floppy drive use the F6 method to install the drivers. I also do not know what if anything adding a SATA controller card would do to your Windows activation if you are using XP.

It may be better simply to purchase a IDE drive like the one here.

There are other people here with more experience with hardware then me who can add their ideas on this.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

Thanks John C is probably right here the onboard IDE controller may not be able to ' see ' the ATA drive in order for it to function properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users