Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing keyboard & mouse drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobnsea

bobnsea

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Machine is an OptiPlex 755.  Upgraded from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7 (32).  While trying to update drivers, inadvertently removed drivers for keyboard & mouse. Windows 7 starts up no problem but I cannot use machine since keyboard & mouse inoperable.  Tried using wireless keyboard & mouse without success.  Any ideas on getting keyboard & mouse functionality back?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hi bobnsea :)

Is it possible for you to press on F8 right before the Windows boot, but after your Dell splashscreen? This will get you in the "Advanced Boot Menu". From there, select the "Last Good Known Configuration" mode and see if your keyboard and mouse are detected on boot.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 bobnsea

bobnsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

I am able to access F8 & F12 screens (keyboard & mouse work on these screens).  Good idea but no joy.  Windows 7 does boot successfully each time but without keyboard & mouse function so "Last Good Known Configuration" didn't help.  Trying to use old system restore point, will let you know if it works.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

"...I am able to access F8 & F12 screens..." Bob

Bob, Try this:  F8, pick Safe Mode with Networking -- hopefully Windows will ReDiscover keyboard & mouse, automatically goto the internet, download and install needed drivers.  Update us, thanks!

Edited by RolandJS, 23 April 2015 - 02:28 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

If it doesn't work, try to boot normally, then unplug the keyboard and the mouse and plug them back in different ports. If they were in the computer case ports, plug them in the motherboard ones. If they were plugged on the motherboard, plug them on the computer case.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 bobnsea

bobnsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Good news, was able to use an old system restore point & now have full keyboard & mouse functionality. Thanks again Aura for looking in.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

Glad that you got it all fixed bob :) If you need assistance into finding and/or installing the missing drivers, let me know and I'll give you a hand.

unite_blue.png

#8 bobnsea

bobnsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

Thanks to both of you for the support, we can close this topic now.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

Threads aren't closed on BleepingComputer. Only the ones in the malware removal area and the ones that are transformed into new threads in the malware removal area. We'll simply let the thread dies and that will be it :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users