Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting multiple monitors to AMD RADEON 6670

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zeiky

Zeiky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

Greetings everyone!

Not sure if this thread should go here or in the internal hardware section, since it kind of is related to both. But, anyways!

I am trying to run dual monitors on my computer; so far I have been using a monitor connected to the VGA port of my grapic card (My card has a VGA, a DVI-D and a HDMI port), so, in order to connect my second VGA monitor, I bought a DVI to VGA adapter and connected both. Here is where the problem arises: my computer does not detect the second screen at all, the one using the DVI to VGA adapter. Tried a bunch of things to make my computer detect it, but the screen just sort of blinks black a few times and then goes back to the floating "Check Signal Cable" message.  

I've been reading around and I found out that maybe two VGA monitors won't work at the same time, which would force me to get one with a different port (HDMI maybe?)- but, does this mean that even if I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter, the problem would stil persist?

I'd like some more informed input in this, since I am pretty novice when it comes to computers. :)

Thanks beforehand!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

hello,

what is the maker of the 6670? (gigabyte, pny  etc.) and also, what is your windows version?

a dvi-d  (d is for "digital) is noticeable by the missing 4 pins around the long pin, the dvi-i (i is for integrated, digital or analog) has the 4 pins and can be passively adapted with a budget adapter, usually under $7

there is no passive way to adapt a dvi-d to a vga, it requires an expensive converter. check to see if your monitors have a a dvi connection , if so, you are in luck. a cheapie dvi-d cable can be acquired for under $20. also, if your monitor is smaller, maybe under 19", you can use the single link dvi-d cable type, which is even cheaper. ..the dual link cable type is for really big dispalys

some cards that have the output to TV (HDMI) will only let you use one or the other, either vga/dvi output to monitors or hdmi to TV, not both. .you may want to check your documentation to see for sure.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Zeiky

Zeiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:55 AM

Hello there, Synergy!

I am not really sure of who is the maker of my graphic card, since this computer was built by a friend of mine. Tried asking him, but he doesn't remember either. : (

My windows version is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Yeah, I was afraid someone would confirm this to me. Turns out the adapter I bought was very cheap and not useful to adapt the digital signal from the DVI-D of my graphic card into an analogue one to make my second VGA monitor work, which sucks because these two monitors I have only have VGA connections. I would either need to buy the expensive converter /or/ a different monitor, one with HDMI (seems like the safer option as of now, right? )

Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me! :)

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

sure thing,

there are hdmi to vga adapters that can be acquired for a manageable budget, i remember this topic from a few months ago.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/hdmi-to-vga-video-adapter

i definitely understand the desire for multiple monitors, i do enjoy my dually setup.  the 6670 should handle the task with relative ease. .

#5 Zeiky

Zeiky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

It was more of a "Oh I've got a second spare monitor, why not have dual set-up? " but it seems it didn't go the way I wanted haha.

Do you still think I could acquire one of those HDMI converter to set up my second VGA screen? I am kind of afraid the same as the DVI-D would happen again. : (

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

i haven't adapted hdmi to vga myself. so can't be certain. if you go to wal-mart and do a site to store purchase, it takes about 10 days and the good thing is if you can't get it to work right, you can either start a new topic here, or edit this one , and if it does go nil,  you can take it back to wal-mart within a time frame for easy refund,

my cards i have now are old enough to have the two dvi-i  so it is easily adaptable

the one i had before that was one vga and one dvi-d, so i got a dvi-d cable and was in business because both my monitors had vga and dvi-d inputs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users