Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working Without A Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

I've been using ZoneAlarm's free firewall for about a year now, and I'm relatively happy with it. The only downsides I see are the constant pop-ups when a new program opens, and I'm required to give it access to the "Trusted Zone" of the internet. Other than that, it's been pretty much smooth sailing.

I'm just wondering what a firewall actually DOES for me. If I were to uninstall Zone Alarm and not replace it with anything, what would I need to worry about, and what are the risks involved in working without a firewall?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hi Prodigy.

I think everyone will tell you that going online without a good Firewall is akin to committing computer suicide.

I use Kerio Fersonal Firewall installed in 'Simple' mode and it just does its thing without asking questions I possibly don't know the correct answer to.

If you do try a different firewall, be sure to disable or remove your present one first as you can only run I Firewall and 1 Antivirus at any one time.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

Alright, thanks for the reply rowal5555, I now know not to go firewall-less, but I still don't what what it actualy does or what I have to specifically worry about.

Posted Image

#4 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

Here are some definitons of firewalls, some in simple terms, some aimed at more computer-hardened types.. :thumbsup:

A firewall is a hardware or software solution to enforce security policies. In the physical security analogy, a firewall is equivalent to a door lock on a perimeter door or on a door to a room inside of the building - it permits only authorized users such as those with a key or access card to enter. A firewall has built-in filters that can disallow unauthorized or potentially dangerous material from entering the system. It also logs attempted intrusions.

A firewall is either the program or the computer it runs on, usually an Internet gateway server, that protects the resources of one network from users from other networks. Typically, an enterprise with an intranet that allows its workers access to the wider Internet will want a firewall to prevent outsiders from accessing its own private data resources.

Computer hardware and/or software that limits access to a computer over a network or from an outside source. Used to prevent computer hackers from getting into a company's computer systems.

For these, I just Googled "define:firewall" and here is a link for you if you want some more, or if you want to visit some of the sites:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

Hope this clears things up a bit,
Thanks,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

In addition to rookie147's very good information is this: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

Be (Hiding behind a firewall) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

Understanding and Using Firewalls

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

As far as the annoyance of the window popping up when an app wants to access the internet--just check "remember this setting" in the window for the apps you trust.

Edited by buddy215, 05 July 2006 - 06:41 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

Also, if you're using XP you have a firewall "built-in" but you have to turn it on
if your not using SP2, no out bound protection though.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users