Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security tools not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hotdog_1984

hotdog_1984

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I seem to have an issue with my computer which is preventing anything security related from working effectively.  I had a number of pieces of malware etc on the computer, but think I have removed them.  I have run full scans with Avira, Trend Micro online, Spybot Search and Destroy, IO Bit Malware fighter and C Cleaner to try and get rid of everything and tidy it up.  I can't see anything left on the computer now that looks harmful, however I am having the same issues.

Any anti virus I install won't allow me to run real time protection.  I have tried installing and re-installing Avira, Avast and AVG and none allow real time protection to be run or updates to be run.  On top of this Windows Defender fails to run and Windows Updates won't run.  Other than this the computer appears to be running fine with no performance issues or issues with pop ups. 

Windows update says it cannot check for updates because the service is not running.

Windows Defender says the specified service does not exist as an installed service.

The Anti Virus programs throw back various errors or just fail to turn on.  I'm very conscious I'm not protected without this and Windows 7 will not be up to date without updates on.  I have checked to make sure all previous anti virus software has been uninstalled.  Please help.

Thanks,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hi Matt :)

warning.gifIObit Software Warning!
I noticed that you have programs from IObit installed on your system. IObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", IObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Most of their features can be replaced by using other programs, often, utilities that requires no installation or that are already "built-in" inside Windows. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every IObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Below are articles that relates the Malwarebytes VS IObit episode and also why IObit failed as a company and within it's products.Since you have signs of an obvious malware infection, it would be better if you went directly in the malware removal section for assistance. In order to do that, you have to post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section. You have to follow the instructions in the preparation guide prior to posting your thread, since it contains the steps to follow when posting it. Once you've been declared clean by your helper, you are free to comeback in this thread so we can continue working on your current issue, if it wasn't solved during your malware clean-up :)

Edited by Aura., 22 April 2015 - 03:59 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

Your issue will require further investigation and a more comprehensive look at your system. Many of the scanning tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need to create and post a FRST log for further investigation.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users