Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop makes clicking noise when turned on

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Broski899

Broski899

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hello, for about a month now my laptop has been making a loud clicking noise whenever I turn it on. It sounds like it comes from near the power button on the far left of the laptop and it only clicks when I turn the laptop on. It never clicks when I'm surfing the web, downloading things, or playing video games. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not my laptop may be failing and if so, what do I need to do to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

The first thing I suggest is to check your hard drive:

I will assume that your laptop has an internal CD drive; if not, post back. Increasing numbers do not have CD drives lately.

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 April 2015 - 03:57 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

If it is just one click when you switch on, this could be merely a relay in the charging circuit becoming noisy with age. If you get a number of clicks, or a string of clicks, then as Ranch hand has said, it could be your hard drive threatening to fail.

In either case you should back up your data as soon as possible to some form of external storage. Your data is the stuff that matters - work, photos, music, etc..

How you back it up matters far less than that you do back it up. You can use anything from memory sticks through DVDs to external (USB) drives of whatever size you need or even to on-line - cloud - storage. Just make sure it is backed up !

You can replace computers, operating systems, applications. That is merely expensive and tedious. If you have lost your data, it's lost.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

It sounds like it comes from near the power button on the far left of the laptop and it only clicks when I turn the laptop on.

Around the fan area? Could be some foreign material found it's way into the casing or fan-housing. Lot's of fluff visible if you shine a flahlight into the vents? Feel for heat dissapation around that part of the laptop: That would be where to shine the light into.

Thanks

Oh yeah: Back up your data...lol

Edited by bludgard, 22 April 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#5 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

I don't have a CD or DVD to burn the ISO file. Can I still run the test without burning it onto a device?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 April 2015 - 06:23 PM.
Removed unneccessary quote

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

Yes; go to the same website and download Seatools For Windows, install it on your computer and run it. Let us know the results.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:37 AM

I'm just going to sum up the results since I'm not sure how to get an actual log file to copy and paste from.

S.M.A.R.T Check- Pass
Short Drive Self Test - Pass
Short Generic- Pass
Long Generic- Pass

I seem to have passed those tests but something really strange happened before I took those tests. I was playing a video game when all the sudden my cursor turned into a line of dots, similar to the one in this photo:

900x900px-LL-a5e6508e_WIN_20130908_06200

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this issue but I have noticed little things like this which may have to do with my hard drive failing.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Check Cris's idea, try turning on with power cord detached, then try with power cord attached any difference?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

I turned it on without powercord and it didnt make any noise but I also turned it on with the power cord and it didnt make noise either..,.I think the noise happens when I get done playing video games on the laptop. The laptop has been a lot less quieter with a fan plugged into it though...

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Evidently your hard drive is not failing....good news!  I'm just wondering...where are the speakers for your lap located; anywhere near where you hear that clicking noise? Could it be coming from your speakers? I have seen where there is sometimes a slight noise when a computer is booting and the sound drivers are loaded. Try turning down your sound entirely and boot the computer.

#11 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

No, actually the speakers are located on the opposite side directly across from them. They aren't near the power button. I checked to see if that was it but no the laptop seems to be making no noise. I think it's working better now that I have a laptop cooling stand connected to it. Maybe the laptop was getting overheated and gaming just made it worse? Does that mean I should stop gaming on the laptop?

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

Gaming will not hurt the lap.  At absolute worst, it will overheat and shut down or auto-reboot. I guess at this point just use it and notice if anything else develops.

#13 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

Alright then, thanks so much for helping me out. I'll be sure to come back if I notice anything unusual happening again. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users