Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does TFC (Temp File Cleaner) work safely on Windows 8/8.1?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 burningbush

burningbush

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

Windows 8/8.1 is not listed at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/ .

TIA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

Hi again burningbush :)

From my experience, TFC still works well under Windows 8/8.1 since I use it all the time at home and on other people's laptops/computers that I assist and that runs Windows 8/8.1. I think your concern here is mainly to see if the programs in the Downloads section works under Windows 8/8.1, despite not being advertised as such. If needed, we could ask Grinler to review these tools and see if they work under Windows 8/8.1. Instead of creating a thread for every new one, I suggest you to compile them all in one thread (you can use this one and edit your first post to include them).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 burningbush

burningbush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info, Aura.

TFC and MiniToolBox are the only tools listed at bleeping -- that I use -- that don't list WIndows 8/8.1 as supported OS's.

If these two tools are supported on 8/8.1, it would be helpful to reflect that in the tool descriptions.

Thanks!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

That's a good point, a Moderator will probably notify Grinler about this so he can look into it, thank you :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

I would suggest you avoid running TFC on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, or at the very least, proceed with caution. 

The programme has not been updated or tested to run in Operating Systems newer than Windows 7. 

I've seen Windows 8/8.1 machines rendered unbootable from use of TFC.

Posted Image

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

TFC was last updated by OldTimer 6/23/12...that was version 3.1.9.0 which supported Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7. TFC has become outdated to some extent as the Windows operating system has continued to be updated with critical security patches. As time has passed, there have been more reports of various issues with running TFC to include unexpected freezing, hanging, unresponsiveness, etc. especially on newer operating systems. If you have problems using it, then consider an alternative like CCleaner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

As a matter of preference I use CCleaner to cler temp files rather than using TFC. CCleaner also gives you extra options and has useful abilities like a means of controlling startup items, and it lets you choose which temp files to dispose of and which to leave in place. Another reason for the preference is that, from what I remember last time I used TFC, you run it, it clears everything including recycle bin which you might have preferred to leave as it was, and then makes you restart, CCleaner lets you select what to get rid of and doesn't need a restart afterwards. I think I ran TFC once or twice on my windows 8.0 machine without having any problems caused, but I would still suggest there are better ways of getting rid of temp files. Windows itself also has built in temp file cleaning tools.

Edited by rp88, 24 April 2015 - 09:34 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

You make some good points. Also folks need to keep in mind that TFC was originally created for use by malware removal helpers which explains why it was designed to work the way it does.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

Windows itself also has built in temp file cleaning tools.

For those wondering about this, it's called "Windows Disk Cleanup", and present on pretty much every version of Windows (at least, starting at Windows XP and above). The following tutorial explains how it works and how to use it. It's the same for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1, except maybe some items in the list are removed/added.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/818-disk-cleanup-open-use.html

unite_blue.png

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

CCleaner is still a better choice.

#11 burningbush

burningbush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

Another great thing about CCleaner is that Piriform has made it available in a portable version:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Thanks for all the feedback re: TFC. Looks like I'll be retiring it in favor of CCleaner.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

Yes the portable version is smaller and does not include any bundled software with it. Good choice.

And you're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users