Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver stopped

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny3053

Gunny3053

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hi Gang

I am using Win 8.1 and I am always bothered by this display driver issue, several times this happens just opening diff web sites, and of course I have the other problem with IE 11 cannot display this page.  I was wondering it they could some how be connected.

My Video card is a Nvidia  Gforce 8800 GTX. I try to keep everything running smooth, keep my cache and temps cleaned out. I have tried several diff things to correct this problem, but nothing seems to do it. So I come to the experts.

Thanx....Gunny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

Which graphic driver version are you currently using?

Is this the 64-bit version of Windows 8.1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi dc3

I will look up what the version is on the video card, the Win 8 is a 32 bit version. Sorry slow in responding I am working on my truck. :-)

Thanx....Gnny

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

I'm about to hang it up for the day.  I'll have to get back to you in the morning.  By then you probably will have posted the driver version and we can go from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi dc3

I just found it.....Version 2.1.4.0

Thanx....Gunny

#6 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hi dc3

Excuse me the latest is a version 2.4.1.

Thanx....Gunny

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

I need more information, please do the following.

If this is a OEM computer please post the make and model of this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#8 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

HI dc3

Here It is...  Thanx....Gunny

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vs1NKVRYQ8aeX1KojfE8lYz

Edited by Gunny3053, 23 April 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#9 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hi dc3

Well what do you think. ??????

Thanx...Gunny

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

Looking through the Speccy I see that your CPU is running at 77C, this is too hot.  This could actually be responsible for some of your problem.  I would suggest looking inside the case to see if there is a buildup of dust, especially the CPU heat sink and fan assembly.  I would also suggest that you check the intake fan on the case to see if the grill in front of the fan is obstructed.  You can use a canned duster to blow out the interior of the case.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, follow the instructions below.

Go to GeForce website and use their Auto Detect option to find the latest driver for this computer.

Download it, but do not install it until you have uninstalled the old driver.

==========

The Speccy also shows that the S.M.A.R.T. attributes are indicating a Warning.  There is a reallocated sectors count of 9.  Please do the following.

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

6.  When the scan is complete you will see Test results, post the status.  If it is green it has passed the scan.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

==========

You have two antivirus programs installed.  You need to uninstall one of them.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Edited by dc3, 24 April 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#11 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hi dc3

Hey thanx for the info...I do keep the grills, fans, etc all very clean. So I don't think this is the problem. I would think it might be some of the other things listed I should do. Actually I have 3 anti virus, Malware, highjack this, and spybot. Maybe that highjack this is not a virus protector.

Ok that will give me something to work on, and I will let you know of the results.

Thanx....Gunny

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

You have AVG and Panda both installed.  These are the two antivirus programs.  One of these needs to be uninstalled.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark only the following checkbox:

• List Installed Programs

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Double click on the download and choose to run the program.

A screen similar to the one below will open, click any key to run the program.

securitycheck_zpscfb86945.png

When the scan is finished there will be a log, copy and then paste your log in your next post.

#13 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

Hi dc3

So far I ran the Seagate too and the drive passed.

Thanx....Gunny

#14 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hi dc3

Here is the log... Boy every time I turn around I find the AVG crap, I hate that stuff and it is hard to get rid of.    Dickie Do.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.00 
   x86 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 11 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Panda Free Antivirus             
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014  
Microsoft Security Essentials    
Windows Defender                 
 Antivirus out of date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Ad-Aware
 WinPatrol
 Spybot - Search & Destroy
 CCleaner    
 Toolbar Cleaner 1.0  
 Java 8 Update 25 
 Java version 32-bit out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player  17.0.0.169 
 Adobe Reader XI 
 Google Chrome (40.0.2214.111)
 Google Chrome (41.0.2272.87)
 Google Chrome (plugins...)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe
 Ad-Aware AAWService.exe is disabled!
 Ad-Aware AAWTray.exe is disabled!
 WinPatrol winpatrol.exe is disabled!
 Spybot Teatimer.exe is disabled!
 AVG avgwdsvc.exe
 AVG avgrsx.exe
 AVG avgnsx.exe
 AVG avgemc.exe
 Panda Security Panda Cloud Antivirus PSANHost.exe 
 Panda Security Panda Cloud Antivirus PSUAService.exe 
 Microsoft Security Client Antimalware MsMpEng.exe 
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

As I suggested previously, you need to uninstall one of your antivirus.  Since you have a paid version of Panda, which in my opinion is the better of the two, you should uninstall AVG.  There is a uninstall tool which you can download here, you will want the 32-bit version of the removal tool.  This is a tool developed by AVG.

When Java is out of date it becomes a potential security risk, this should be taken seriously.  You need to update to the latest version or uninstall it if you are not using it.

AdAware and Spybot S&D are programs that at one time were very popular and effective.  But there are newer programs which are  better than these two.  AdwCleaner is one of these, SUPERAntiSpyware is the other.  As for your antimalware programs, Malwarebytes Antimalware is currently one of the best out there.  I would suggest uninstalling the older programs and download the ones posted here.

I know this seems like a lot, but think of it as a car that hasn't had any maintenance in several years, consequently it needs a serious tune up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users