Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cryptodefense Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drfever

Drfever

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

I was hit with Cryptodefense ransomware.    The folks at Symantec were able to clean my computer of the virus but I've been left with encrypted photos.   Thankfully only folders on my desktop were hit but these pictures mean a lot to me.

Is there anyway to decrypt these files?   Windows can't open them.  Shadowexplorer can't help.

Is there any known method to recovery them?

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2015 - 12:45 PM.
Moved from Am I Infected to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hi Drfever :)

Sadly, if you were hit by CryptoDefense after April 1st 2014, there's no way to decrypt your files for free. For more information about CryptoDefense and how you could go about recovering the files that were encrypted, take a look at the CryptoDefense FAQ below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptodefense-ransomware-information

For support regarding the CryptoDefense infection, you should post in the Support thread that was created for it. This way, all the information and support is centralized in one place and not in hundred of threads.

CryptoDefense - Newest cryptolocker variant - Details inside

Sorry that it happened to you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:45 PM