Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Networks With Similar MACS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Davion9

Davion9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hello...

About two years ago a computer tech visited our home and told us we were the victims of a "man in the middle attack" (he actually suspected much of my neighborhood was) It now seems that whenever logon to our wifi network another "hidden network" will pop up along with it. The interesting thing is that this "hidden network" only appears when our gateway is plugged in --in other words if i disable the gateway and search wifi networks with my phone or tablet BOTH networks --home and hidden--are no longer available--as though they are dependent on one another--also, both networks share almost down to the letter MACS and bssids...So if my home network has a mac of ce37326, the hidden network's is ce372327...and my event viewer (up until last week) showed me attaching to both...unfortunately the files showing this seemed to have dissappeared. Any ideas on what's going on and how to stop it would be appreciated. 

Thanks

BTW -- I wanted to attach a couple of jpgs but saw nowhere to attach...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Davion9

Davion9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

...I should add that at the same time this hidden network appeared  my ability to connect my Kindle to my pc via USB was no longer functional and after a series of convesrsations with Amazon's tech crew their only suggestion was to do a factory reset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users