Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Windows 7 Boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

For the past few months my Windows 7 has had an annoying problem when booting up. For reference I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 as my primarily used OS, which is setup to dual boot with Windows 8.1 x64 which I use occasionally. Actually I think the problem started happening around when I setup the dual boot so I suspect it may be related. Which makes no sense to me because I've setup dual boot systems several times before that always worked flawlessly but this is the first time I've tried to dual boot 7 with 8.1 in particular so maybe the OSs hate eachother or something. Anyway on to the problem.

So every time I try to boot into Windows 7, the following happens: OS doesn't even try to start up until I've physically turned the PC off and back on like 2-4 times. No errors or anything that I see. Then finally it will try to launch Windows startup repair and I can tell it to try to repair it, which can run for a long time. Eventually the startup repair will say something like "windows could not be repaired" upon which I reboot the PC but regardless, Windows 7 will load up perfectly that time. Works fine until I reboot again, which starts the process over. Windows 8.1 does not have this problem at all.

I've checked my event logs, I haven't noticed anything that obviously stands out to me around boot time, there's no hardware errors either which wouldn't make sense anyway because I just built this PC was last year with all brand new parts. I can't figure out what would be causing this, nor how to go about fixing it. The boot problem is the only thing obviously wrong with my system, from what I can tell it's just a severe annoyance if anything but I would really appreciate some help with figuring out how to fix it so I don't have to waste so much time trying to get my PC started up when I need to.

Edited by Caffeinated.Doot, 22 April 2015 - 11:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Bump. Any ideas...?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

I don't know anything about Win 8, so this may not be applicable...but the Windows versions that I am familiar with always overwrite the boot files from any earlier version of Windows.

With that in mind, it seems the Win 8 install should have overwritten the Win 7 bootfiles...which may now be damaged.

I would boot into Win 8 and try to repair said boot files, assuming that there is a mechanism analogous to Win 7's Startup Repair.

Louis

#4 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

How can I repair the boot files?

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

For what it's worth, the equivalent of Startup Repair in Windows 8 is called Automatic Repair: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

If I understand OP is booting Windows 7, When I was installing, updating, down-grading Windows 7 Pro, I found it necessary to get into my harddrive with a harddrive/partition utility to make sure boot partition is system & active.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 April 2015 - 10:09 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

If I understand OP is booting Windows 7, When I was installing, updating, down-grading Windows 7 Pro, I found it necessary to get into my harddrive with a harddrive/partition utility to make sure boot partition is system & active.

How did you do this?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

I use Acronis Disk Director 12, however there are several very good freebies available.  Naming just one of many:  minitool partition wizard, free version.  Use cautiously -- if you have any questions, ask here, BC tech regulars can give you better advice.  I only know how to use Acronis Disk Director.  You have to have either a CD/DVD boot or USB boot stick.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 April 2015 - 10:45 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users